Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
We are looking for a JUNIOR level Software Engineer to join our SMS team in Tallinn who is passionate about designing, developing, deploying and operating software solutions at scale, and wants to help Twilio deliver real-time, low latency capabilities for next-generation communications.
We’re looking for versatile software engineers with product thinking eager to bring our cloud-hosted Software-As-A-Service API platform to new heights and live the Twilio Magic. Versatility means readiness to learn and execute on all levels of software engineering: from backend to client, from low-level optimizations and debugging, from slinging code to operations and assuring the quality of your work.
You also have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Ideally 1+ years of Software development experience, but we are also interested in to hear from you if your experience does not span that far
- Experience from working in a Java development environment would be nice, but we value more your willingness to learn new things
- Knowledge of relational databases
- Understanding of basic principles of software engineering
Most of all you will be learning a lot. You will contribute to product development end-to-end: from working with members of the product organization to distill customer requirements to solutions, design, and development. You’ll also be accountable to operate the systems you’ve created live, devop style.
- WRITE IT DOWN - You will enhance and scale the SMS platform that touches millions of people every day.
- DRAW THE OWL - Develop a complex distributed platform in Java considering high availability, throughput, latency, and data integrity.
- BE BOLD - Deploy and manage global computing resources deployed on AWS.
- NO SHENANIGANS - Drive quality by writing unit, functional, load and performance tests.
- DON’T SETTLE - Contribute to teams agile processes, continuous integration and test automation.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER'S SHOES - Release, monitor, and maintain features in a responsible, reliable way as part of our integrated DevOps practices.
Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications.
The Twilio‘s SMS platform enables companies to integrate communications directly into their applications via simple cloud APIs and with on-demand global reach. Twilio is therefore challenged with abstracting away a world of complexity so that our customers can go global without concern for managing a global communications network, carrier integrations and relationships throughout the world.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be located in our new beautiful and well-designed office at Veerenni 38 in Tallinn. You will enjoy our incredible perks: monthly breakfast, twice a week lunch, dinner during our bi-weekly global All Hands and a fully-stocked kitchen with a variety of snacks and beverages. We offer true ownership of your own work, great salary package, Twilio RSUs (stock, NYSE: TWLO), mobile phone and gym reimbursement, monthly mobile expense coverage, monthly health expense coverage etc.
What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook. Do you want to experience all of this with the best people? Join our really diverse, international team in Tallinn!
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.