Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking an Engineering Manager to be a key member of the Observability group’s Operational Intelligence Engineering team in Bangalore, India. You will be joining one of the first teams of engineers in our new Bangalore office and as the first Engineering Manager in the Platform Engineering organization, with an opportunity to help define our technical and team culture in India. You will also help us build solutions that deliver actionable intelligence from a number of mission-critical systems, ensuring that Twilio is the leader in trusted communications. A successful candidate will be a self-starter, embody a growth mindset, collaborate effectively, can mentor junior engineers and operate highly resilient services.
Twilio is looking for a strong data engineer who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of working with data, specifically; sourcing and integrating data from multiple disparate backend data sources, developing reporting infrastructures and applying a deep analytics background to assess business performance and deliver actionable insights to improve efficiency and increase productivity. You should also have:
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in an engineering management role
- Demonstrated experience leading inclusive teams, mentoring junior engineers, and teaching proven practices that help teams grow.
- Communication skills that leverage empathy and compassion to build trust, resolve conflicts, and provide feedback to your team.
- Strong product and architectural vision and a demonstrated ability to collaborate, communicate, advocate, and execute on that vision.
- Advanced working knowledge of large data manipulation, data mining using SQL and data warehousing on highly available SQL and non-relational (NoSQL and distributed database management systems)
- Hands-on experience with Big Data technologies (e.g Hadoop, Hive, Spark) is a big plus
- Extensive knowledge of BI and Visualization platforms i.e. Tableau and AWS Quicksight
- Ability to draw insights from data and clearly communicate them (verbal/written) to the stakeholders and senior management as required
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize workload and roadmaps
- Strong expertise in troubleshooting complex production issues.
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking, and communication skills.
- Strong belief in automation over toil.
As the Engineering Manager for Operational Data Intelligence, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: You will be the COO of a mini-engineering platform startup responsible and accountable for the well-being, delivery, and growth within the team. How will you develop a culture of personal and team growth that encourages your team members to work together to achieve great outcomes?
- BE INCLUSIVE & EMPOWER OTHERS: You will foster the growth of an inclusive, high-performing team. Outside your team, you will champion communities of practice, and can be an expert to lead and mentor when needed. How will you grow your team through teaching and nurturing welcoming, safe spaces where everyone can bring their authentic selves?
- NO SHENANIGANS: Great engineering managers consistently display good judgment. They are intellectually honest, transparent, and work together with others by fostering an authentic, inclusive environment. How will you serve as a model for fair decision-making within and beyond your team?
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Your team will ship great platform features that delight your customers. You will get to know your customers and walk in their shoes. How will you listen to your customers’ challenges, identify opportunities, craft solutions, and deliver the right value at the right time?
- WRITE IT DOWN: You will communicate effectively to executives, to your peers, and internally among your team. Are you able to distill complex thoughts and concepts simply? Are you articulate and concise in written and verbal communication? Will you communicate with empathy and understanding even in stressful situations?
- DRAW THE OWL: You’ll forge the vision for how containers and Kubernetes make an impact at Twilio. There’s no instruction book, it’s yours to write. You’ll figure it out, ship it, and iterate. You’ll invent the future, but you won’t wing it.
Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications.
The Operational Intelligence Engineering team is central to Twilio's continued growth. Our mission is to provide actionable insights from a vast number of different systems leveraged by product engineering teams to build, deliver, and operate their globally distributed services, arming them with the knowledge they need to continuously improve their quality, security, velocity, and efficiency. To do this we need to continue to develop and evolve our products and services and ensure they are able to scale; driving Twilio to new heights of scale.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office in Bangalore, India. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.