The Who, What, Where and Why
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated to lead our commercial legal work across Asia Pacific and Japan from our Singapore office. In this role, you will support the Sales Team and other business groups primarily with commercial contract work. You will also be the member of Twilio’s Legal Team located in APJ and will lead the growth of Twilio’s Commercial Contracts Team in this region.
In this role you will be expected to exercise excellent business judgment to seek solutions while managing legal and financial risks, coordinating issue resolution and employing creative problem-solving. You must be able to work effectively with lawyers and non-lawyers alike both within and outside of Twilio and drive contracts to signature. You will be responsible for managing a large volume of inbound and outbound contracts and work closely with Twilio’s Sales Team as well as other key business units to guide contracts through review, negotiation and signing. You must be dedicated to providing excellent customer service, have zealous attention to detail, and excellent people skills. We also want you to be eager to be a contributing member of a fun, supportive and high functioning team.
You are a talented and creative attorney who is passionate about working on sophisticated contracts and closing deals. This job is for you if you enjoy and thrive in a fast-paced and high pressure environment, you work well with sales reps in particular and a wide-range of personalities in general. You should also have an upbeat and positive attitude, love to laugh and be part of a cohesive team - both Twilio’s APJ Team and Legal Team. We seek someone who has:
- 8+ years of legal experience, including 4+ years of technology transactions, 2+ years in-house at technology companies and at 2+ years negotiating commercial agreements in Asia Pacific and Japan
- Team oriented with exceptional interpersonal skills, unquestionable ethics, integrity, and sound judgment.
- Experience drafting complex strategic commercial transactions and leading contract negotiations.
- Experiencing effectively collaborating with business and other cross functional teams (Security, Privacy, Product, Accounting) to ensure business needs are met.
- Ability to work effectively managing remote employees across multiple countries
- Experience in one or more of the coverage areas listed above, with an emphasis in cloud platforms, PaaS, telecommunications and/or SaaS.
- Telecom experience is a plus.
As a Director Managing Counsel, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Analyze strategic markets and provide key findings to internal stakeholders.
- DRAW THE OWL: Identify and qualify new inorganic growth ideas from internal and external sources and drive end-to-end execution of M&A.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Lead or assist in all aspects of transactions, including strategy formation, developing business cases, deal execution, and integration.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Interact extensively across all functional teams within Twilio and have significant exposure to our executive leadership.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Ensure the consistent exercise of appropriate judgment and discretion in evaluating opportunities, conducting due diligence, and negotiating agreement terms.
Twilio’s legal team prides itself on the trust it has built across the business through consistently providing practical and sound legal advice. Your unique skill set and experience are critical to help support our thriving and growing business and reinforce the trust and partnership we have cultivated with teams across the company.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is also a unique employer; we are committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. Twilio also has a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be located in our beautiful office at 9 Straits View Marina One West Tower. You will enjoy our incredible perks: catered meals, snacks and drinks, ergonomic desks and regular team events and activities along with regular company and regional All Hands and more. You will also be part of a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life; that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, and can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
About us :
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.