Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is looking for a Senior Software Engineer who wants to design, develop, deploy and operate services at scale to power Twilio’s next generation products. You are eager to learn from the team as well as inspire your teammates with your knowledge and skills. You think about how data shapes software as much as how your code does. Thinking of scale comes naturally to you. You have a keen sense of how data streams should be managed and how data should be organized. You have experience working with key-value, document and relational data stores. You have at least 5 years experience building large distributed systems with high reliability and scalability.
As a key member of a collaborative and growing team, you will help shape the core of the product. You can expect to
- Design, implement and operate REST APIs for Twilio products.
- Design, bootstrap and scale highly available and resilient JVM microservices and applications. Experience in Java (8 and above) and Python.
- Define and implement tight integrations with other Twilio products and third party APIs.
- Setup and operate high throughput data pipelines to power the product, using technologies like Kafka and Spark.
- Define schemas for various types of data, setup appropriate data stores (MySQL, Cassandra, Redis) and operate them at scale.
- Direct experience with cloud based services (using AWS).
- Mentor and train other team members on design techniques and coding standards.
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Analyze strategic markets and provide key findings to internal stakeholders.
- DRAW THE OWL: Identify and qualify new inorganic growth ideas from internal and external sources and drive end-to-end execution of M&A.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Lead or assist in all aspects of transactions, including strategy formation, developing business cases, deal execution, and integration.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Interact extensively across all functional teams within Twilio and have significant exposure to our executive leadership.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Ensure the consistent exercise of appropriate judgment and discretion in evaluating opportunities, conducting due diligence, and negotiating agreement terms.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We have remote-friendly environment, you will have flexible working hours, etc. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be located in our beautiful office at Paseo de la Castellana, 77 in Madrid. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, political views or activity, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable local law. Twilio is committed to supporting our disabled candidates in our job application process. If you need assistance or a change to the hiring process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.