Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio’s IoT Team is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to build a global IoT platform connecting millions of IoT devices every day.
As a member of the IoT team at Twilio, you will be developing highly distributed microservices that together form an API our customers rely upon. You will build customer trust by designing and creating available and fault tolerant systems. Senior engineers at Twilio are service owners, you will deploy, monitor, and operate your code in production. You will make decisions about consistency, failure modes, and degraded operation. We rely on databases (SQL and No-SQL), streams, and other cloud infrastructure primitives. As a senior engineer on the team you will have the opportunity to impart your extensive knowledge and experience on the team and help the team grow.
You should have some or all of the following:
- Valid German work permit
- Experience in at least one web stack and framework, preferably in Scala or Java
- Experience owning services in production
- Experience designing APIs, interfaces, and contracts between microservices
- Exposure to SQL and key-value database systems, MySQL a plus
- Experience in a highly-distributed service environment with multiple critical paths
- 7+ years of software engineering experience
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will:
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Architects and Engineering leaders to define,
- architect and build new customer-facing features.
- Build new features.
- Architect new systems and design APIs with a focus on scalability, testability, and maintainability.
- Own, operate, and maintain your team’s services in a distributed production environment. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers.
- Drive quality by writing unit, functional, load and performance tests.
- Design services that are reliable, scalable, manageable and supportable. Develop diagnostic and troubleshooting tools made available via our developer portal and to our customer support organization.
- Lead architecture, design and code reviews as well as mentor junior engineers.
Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications.
With the launch of Twilio Wireless, we are doing the same for the world of IoT. Our vision is that in the near future the Internet of Things will truly live up to its name: anything that can benefit from being connected to the internet (i.e. all the things) will be — cheaply, reliably and with the ease of use that Twilio is famous for.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be located in our beautiful office at WeWork c/o Twilio, Stresemannstraße 123, Berlin Mitte, D-10963 Germany. You will enjoy our incredible perks: catered meals, snacks, company bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.