Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
At the heart of Twilio products lies the Twilio Technology Platform, a collection of teams and software services enabling products to be delivered to market as efficiently as possible. We take the concept of hospitality seriously, ensuring that we prioritize actions and roadmap items that are in the service of others.
In the spirit of building a strong customer experience, the Platform team is seeking an experienced Technical Writer to deliver documentation in support of our customer interfaces. This role will create written content to support company-scale technical initiatives, documentation for new and existing internal product lines, technical writings in support of self-paced education modules, and compliance-related artifacts.
We are looking for a Technical Writer to produce written content for our Technology Platform. You may be a match if:
- You enjoy bringing challenging, complex, and detailed concepts to a wide variety of audiences while avoiding jargon.
- You seek creative outlets for expressing ideas and are not beholden to the standard documentation practices.
- You desire being involved in multiple high-impact projects at the same time. Multi-tasking comes naturally, and you are able to keep relevant stakeholders updated as necessary.
- You thrive from the bits of technical writing outside of pen and paper - figuring out the value and importance of concepts, why it matters for the end user and how best to present it.
- You know how to accept opinionated feedback and dig into the real message. More importantly, you know how to say no when required.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of relevant experience, such as product documentation, online publishing, or educational materials.
As a Technical Writer, we expect you will:
- Communicate Effectively. You will be asked to produce content for a variety of end users, from product documentation for front-line engineers to program briefs intended for executives. Are you able to articulate effectively for a variety of customer bases?
- Build with empathy. The Platforms team will ship products and programs that delight our customers. You are expected to know your customers and walk in their shoes. Can you help translate difficult technical concepts to written words that resonate strongly with your customer?
- Be an Owner. We expect every Twilio employee to operate in their role without explicit instructions. You will be handed incredible autonomy to forge your path and define the future of high-quality technical writing within the company. With this autonomy, however, will come desired outcomes. Will you be able to create a path from concept to delivery without a guide?
- Prioritize Ruthlessly. Each and every product and program will benefit from clearer communication and writing. Every request is the highest priority. While we strive to help all customers and respond compassionately, will you be able to identify requests that have the most impact and prioritize ruthlessly?
- Collaborate Effectively. Documentation written in isolation is doomed to fail. We expect all content creators at Twilio to operate and iterate within their teams, continuously fostering feedback, guidance, and ideas on how to communicate more effectively. Will you be able to create the right feedback loop and creative process to incorporate others’ input appropriately?
Twilio believes in the power of Platforms to create leverage and empower developers. Our internal platforms allow our own small teams of developers to stand on the shoulders of giants, enabling them to focus on making world-class services that delight our customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office at 1801 California Street in Denver. You will enjoy our office perks: free lunch, snacks, beer and cold brew on tap, ergonomic desks, and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.