Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
We are looking for a talented and experienced Principal Engineer and Technical Lead who is passionate about building exceptional developer experiences. You are the right fit for this role if you:
- Have a track record of designing and building large-scale, cloud-based, highly available software platforms.
- Are an API-first developer who understands the power of platforms.
- Are passionate about enabling other developers through the software experiences you create.
- Have the ability to balance long-term objectives with urgent short-term needs.
- With your sound decision making and technical creativity, you successfully lead teams through challenging engineering problems.
- Have a degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
You’ll bring your passion about operational excellence and know-how for building software that delivers it. You are able to think at scale, define, and meet stringent availability and performance SLAs. You represent your customers, and you always work to enable their success.
You will be responsible for technical leadership across frontend and backend services that power the developer platform for Flex. These services run a high-availability edge service, open-source tools for frontend developers, UIs within the Twilio Console and Flex for system administrators, and the first-time experience for all Flex project creators. This team defines the primary interface that developers use to build and deploy their customizations to Flex.
Within a typical week you will:
- Partner with the Product team to design for developers and find new ways to delight your customers.
- Collaborate with other senior technical leads across Twilio to drive a coordinated technical direction for the platform.
- Provide mentorship to the engineering team on development practices, lead cross-team technical discussions, and demonstrate an ability and willingness to dive into the code.
Twilo Flex lies at the heart of Twilio’s strategic priorities. In this role, you would influence Twilio’s newest and fastest growing product. You would be a visible leader and would work closely with teams at every layer of the company. Your success would deliver great customer experiences at major brands around the world (Twilio’s customers), and you would enable them to deliver better services to their customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office at 375 Beale Street in San Francisco. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.