Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
The Twilio platform enables companies to integrate communications directly into their applications via simple cloud APIs and with on-demand global reach. Twilio's voice platform allows companies to build communications directly into their applications via simple cloud APIs, with on-demand global reach.
Supporting customers internationally means supporting high performance, no matter where customers live. Customers expect fast call setup, micro-second API responses, and built-in regional failover and recovery. As a Manager in Voice Regional, you will guide the engineering team through the implementation of real-time voice services using Java microservices, while leveraging standards such as SIP, RTP, WebRTC and HTTP.
- You have experience leading a team as a Manager, with people responsibilities for teams of 10-20 for at least 5 years. You are first and foremost a people person who has the ability to attract and motivate top talent. You are curious, collaborative, and humble and have empathy as a key trait.
- You are able to work with teams in globally remote offices and easily synch with colleagues around the world.
- You are fluent in English, both written and spoken.
- You are a strategic thinker and thrive operating in broad scope, from conception through continuous operation of 24x7 services. As a pragmatist, you are able to distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team. You are someone who has solved complex problems and have the aptitude to navigate uncharted waters.
- You are a master of agile processes, continuous integration and test automation. Ideally you have completed formal Agile training and have managed a Scrum team.
- You have been a developer yourself with a minimum five years hands-on experience developing and scaling Java or similar technical stacks. Experience managing engineers in a high technical and complex operations environment is highly desired. Ideally, you have experience in a production cloud / DevOps environment.
- To take it to scale, you will be managing a complex distributed platform with points of presence globally and will be concerned with availability, throughput, latency,media fidelity as well as real-time considerations.
- There will be some data components so you will be working with distributed SQL and NoSQL databases and caches. At the core are cloud technologies that enable deployment and management of computing resources globally.
- Lead and grow a team of passionate engineers through their journey to Agile Maturity. Provide support and guidance that enables the team to self-organize and to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability.
- Manage employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring to junior engineers while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. Provide continuous performance feedback, collaborate with employees on their objectives and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans.
- Institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well architected and supportable code. Lead reviews of architecture design.
- Own, operate and maintain your team’s services. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers. Institute and maintain a rotating on-call incident escalation and response processes for the team.
- Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities. Ensure there is cross-training and a healthy balance between features and technical debt.
- Interface with our central design team to ensure consistency across our user experiences.
- Serve as the team’s Scrum Master, breaking down roadblocks as well as managing communications with stakeholders and dependent teams. Create a culture of continuous improvement through retrospection.
- As a member of the Engineering Management team, foster leadership principles and behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders.
- Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting and motivating top talent.
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. We do that by focusing relentlessly on building the most robust, programmable, customer-centric communications platform on the planet. The Programmable Voice & Video platform reaches more than two million developers globally.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in Madrid. You should expect the normal perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, etc. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, we know this is a marathon not a sprint; that builds an inclusive culture where we want all of our people to be comfortable and thrive. We seek out people who live by our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.