Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Platform Engineering empowers every Twilio Engineer with a foundation that accelerates development and eases operations while maintaining velocity, quality and reliability. We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager interested in helping us build the next iteration of our PaaS for Twilio.
Twilio is looking for an Engineering Manager to join our Platform Engineering team. You might be a fit if:
- You are motivated, passionate, empathetic and customer-obsessed.
- You have a strong product and architectural vision and a demonstrated ability to communicate, advocate, and execute on that vision.
- You have experience recruiting, hiring, and cultivating talent for your team.
- You have at least 3-5 years of software engineering management experience in a large-scale, enterprise environment, leading teams which build and operate mission-critical PaaS or SaaS products.
- Bachelors/Masters degree in Computer Science required, or equivalent experience.
As an Engineering Manager in Platforms, we expect you will:
- Nurture your team. Hire well, manage performance, and provide coaching, mentorship, and career development to your staff.
- Show the way. Collaborate with Tech Leads, Architects and Product Managers, you’ll develop requirements, execution plans, define and track measurable goals for the team, and help guide our product roadmap as we evolve our product line in Platforms.
- Ship great products. You’ll execute on developing world-class software in accordance with Twilio's engineering and operating standards.
- Own part of the Twilio system. You will own not only own your products, but trust and reliability in your area of our system as well. You’ll conduct product operability reviews, set and review performance against service level objectives, address production incidents, conduct post-mortems, and prioritize operational improvements.
- Travel infrequently. Travel is probably less frequent in this role, compared to other roles at Twilio.
Twilio is a rapidly growing technology company, and throughout this growth, it is critical we cultivate a software platform that enables our rapidly growing engineering workforce to be creative and innovative all while maintaining extremely high standards of quality and reliability for our customers.
Platform Engineering develops Twilio’s internal developer platform.
Our platform enables Twilio’s “small teams” to stand on the shoulders of giants by leveraging battle-hardened infrastructure as their foundation and building from there - enabling them to focus more on making world class services that delight our customers.
Our platform enables zero-downtime deployments that contribute to the five 9s of uptime for Twilio’s API. It powers the automated deployments of our Voice products across the globe to enable crisp, clear, low latency phone calls. It powers the automated deployments for all our internal datastores and caches which include MySQL, Cassandra, Redis, and Memcache.
Our platform empowers teams to self-service their needs across the entire developer workflow: from source code management to incident management, from the edge to the AMI and all things in between.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in internal hack-a-thons to allow our engineering staff to dedicate two weeks out of the year to tackle any challenge they see fit. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
More than 2 million developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 1,000 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Berlin, Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Prague, Singapore and Tallinn.