Twilio believes in small empowered teams, best-practices agile engineering, and state-of-the-art distributed engineering, and distributed systems. Twilio consists of hundreds of services owned and operated by teams of 5-8 individuals and deployed on globally-distributed highly-available systems.
We are looking for a engineering leader for the Phone Numbers (Telephony) Engineering team to be based in Bogotá, which will develop products and tooling to drive Twilio’s core “Phone Numbers” business.
You will lead your team in designing, building and operating a series of production services that will define how the Cloud Communications industry thinks about connectivity and drive significant growth for Twilio's and its customer’s growth. And you’ll be a key leader at a company that recognizes that people are our most important resource, keeping your team -- and the individuals that comprise it -- learning, growing, and succeeding.
About the job:
- As an Engineering Manager in Super Network, you will be responsible for your team’s health, growth, and productivity. You will lead collaboration with other Phone Numbers and Super Network Engineering and Product teams around the world, including San Francisco, Estonia, Sweden,and London.
- As an Engineering Manager in Super Network, you will lead your team to deliver high-scale services and tooling from low-level data access and replication at scale to intelligent search, enhanced ordering, public APIs and web interfaces.
- You understand the value of great devOps to your team’s success, and strive for reliability, speed, and quality from dev to staging to prod.
- You will receive exposure to the unique set of challenges that come from operating multiple services and a catalog that never stops enabling communications any time of the day or night. Twilio infrastructure is the dial-tone that never fails.
- Developing tools and automation is key to everything we do at Twilio. Any task we do more than twice is automated.
- You will lead a team through scaling challenges, clear up ambiguity to focus the team and teach sound decision making through the customer’s lens.
- Twilio is a company built by developers for developers. You must not only have the professional expertise to understand your team’s engineering and business challenges, but also the technical acumen to build great software.
- You and the team will be constantly delivering and shipping new software.
- The Engineering Manager role at Twilio is about shipping high-quality products and providing team leadership.
- Partner with the Product Managers, other Engineering Managers and Technical Leads to make long-term architectural decisions for Phone Numbers product, services, and tooling.
- Create fast prototypes for automation to understand if this is what the customers need. This position includes a significant portion of both research and development.
- Grow and mentor a team of talented Software Engineers with various levels of experience.
- Work with different product teams across the company on their roadmaps to make sure that their APIs allow us to achieve best customer experience.
- You have at least two years experience building and managing a team of Software Engineers and 5+ years of software engineering experience.
- You are a leader and diplomat: Leading your team in Bogotá, and collaborating with Twilio Super Network Product and Eng worldwide. You care deeply about the productivity, growth, and satisfaction of your team and of the broader company, and understand how to achieve great engineering results for both.
- You have created technical specifications, user stories, database and API designs based on business requirements.
- Stellar communication, organization and management skills with proven track record in an agile environment.
- Solid understanding of continuous integration and deployment practices.
- Enthusiasm for working in a high profile, fast-paced startup culture. We ship products on a daily basis, with tight schedules, small teams, and a very large user base.
- Hands on. Passionate. Persistent. Creative. You get things done - you are a DOer.
- Fluency in Spanish and English will be required.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our beautiful office in Bogotá, Colombia. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, BBQs, gym stipend, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
More than 2 million developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 1,000 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.