SendGrid’s Manager of Core Platform will be a dynamic and inspiring engineering leader with a passion for delivering world-class solutions through management, mentorship, and influential leadership.The Core Platform team is responsible for building the core infrastructure and services on which the rest of the engineering teams depend.
You will grow and lead talented engineers with backgrounds in software development, quality engineering, and production operations.
You are a firm believer in the benefits of working through Agile and lean methodologies delivering small incremental customer value frequently.
You are a champion and advocate for a DevOps culture whereby teams have full ownership of all stages of the product life-cycle.
Your passions include delivering top quality services with amazing reliability and operability, holding your teams accountable to this high standard, and leveraging automation throughout the delivery lifecycle.
You believe in Servant Leadership and prioritize your responsibilities to hire great people, mentor through candid, caring, and timely feedback, and lead the team to consistently deliver; you are also able to dig in and support your team to solve hard technical problems and provide technical guidance as we grow to massive scale.
You are an influencer and drive collaboration across the company, and you ensure the departmental strategy is set around supporting the needs of our customers.
What You’ll Do
- Live by and champion our cultural values of Happy, Hungry, Honest, and Humble
- Manage and lead the Core Platform team consisting of Software Development, Quality Assurance, and DevOps Engineers and work collaboratively with peers across disciplines to meet business commitments.
- Lead your team through the design, development, testing, operability, code reviews, and deployment of features and components
- Hire, manage, and mentor software engineers to foster their career growth and progression
- Lead innovation with your team, evaluating new trends and opportunities in the industry
- Drive quality, predictability, and velocity on your team(s) with continuous improvement mindset
- Collaborate with Product Management to define roadmap, priorities and User Stories
What you bring
- 10+ years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of experience and education
- 5-8 years of engineering management experience
- Deep understanding of building scalable web services architectures
- People management experience with responsibility in any engineering discipline: Quality, DevOps, Development with a strong understanding and passion in each area
- Ability to oversee the design and operation of complex components and large-scale systems
- Success at participating in cross-functional teams; naturally collaborative but decisive when needed
- Track record in building and sustaining high-performance teams
- Ability to manage multiple projects, teams, and schedules in a rapid-growth environment, to coordinate successful/timely releases and achieve quality objectives
- Excellent written and oral communication skills enabling you to articulate complex, technical material to a non-technical audience
- Experience working on internal Platforms (bonus)