The Twilio platform enables companies to integrate communications directly into their applications via simple cloud APIs and with on-demand global reach. Twilio is therefore challenged with abstracting away a world of complexity so that our customers can go global without concern for managing a global communications network, carrier integrations and relationships throughout the world.
About the job:
As a member of our communications teams you will implement real-time voice and messaging services. To take it to scale, you will be developing a complex distributed platform with points of presence globally and will be concerned with availability, throughput, latency, media fidelity as well as real-time considerations. There will be a significant data component so you will be working with distributed SQL and NoSQL databases and caches. At the core are cloud technologies that enable deployment and management of computing resources globally.
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Architects and Engineering leaders to define, architect and build new customer-facing features.
- Own, operate, and maintain your team’s services in a distributed production environment. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers.
- Drive quality by writing unit, functional, load and performance tests.
- Work closely with DevOps engineers to ensure services are reliable, scalable, manageable and supportable. Develop diagnostic and troubleshooting tools made available via our developer portal and to our customer support organization.
- Excel as an engineer and be a productive member of the team where leadership is a behavioral trait, not a title. Lead architecture, design and code reviews as well as mentor junior engineers.
- 5+ years of experience of hands-on experience developing distributed systems based on Java, C++ or .NET technologies. You are an experienced in at least one web stack and framework.
- Hands on experience with cloud technologies such as AWS (Amazon Web Services), OpenStack or Azure.
- Hands on experience working with SQL and NoSQL databases and caches.
- You have worked in an Agile development environment. You are an expert in practical aspects of running Scrum (or other agile methodologies) within a team and in a distributed cross-team environment.
- Ideally, you have experience in a production DevOps environment where you ship rapidly and often.
If you are not experienced in communications, no worries, you will learn. We are seeking engineers who have solved complex problems at scale and have the aptitude to navigate uncharted waters.
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice and video capabilities directly into their software applications. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 650 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. #LI-POST