Join TuSimple and help change the way the world moves. Together we're making freight transportation safer, more efficient, and more environmentally friendly.
TuSimple Company Overview
Come join a higher calling and find a deeper purpose!
TuSimple is a fully commercialized autonomous trucking company. As a multi-national Artificial Intelligence Technology Company, we are at the epicenter of the Autonomous Vehicle Universe. Our breakthroughs are leading the industry in autonomous trucking. While inventing the framework of Autonomous Driving, our live fleet of autonomous Trucks have fully evolved land freight. TuSimple is leading the way by hiring the most talented researchers, engineers, and scientists. TuSimple was founded half a decade ago with the goal of bringing the top minds in the world together to achieve the dream of a driverless truck solution. With a foundation in computer vision, algorithms, mapping, and Artificial Intelligence, TuSimple has created the first commercially viable Autonomous Freight Network.
TuSimple is currently seeking an experienced Director - Systems Engineering to lead the entire upstream Product-level and System-level definition and engineering of our autonomous fleet. This is a very high profile leadership position, with scope covering product design, concepts of operations, requirements development and systems architecture, along with the various “-ilities” needed to guarantee safety, reliability and maintainability of our autonomous freight network.
The successful candidate will lead a team of Product Managers, Engineers, Analysts and Scientists in implementing the disciplined technical, operational and organizational capabilities necessary to ensure highly-efficient safety-critical product development. Immediate objectives for this role include the expansion of our autonomous vehicles’ capabilities to safely support the expanded operational design domains (ODDs) targeted for initial commercial operations. Longer term objectives involve building the processes, expertise and automation needed to rapidly scale to new ODDs, and incubating manufacturability, maintainability, environmental and other specialty engineering capabilities in preparation for production release of our autonomous trucks.
Success in this role will require a balanced mix of high-level, product design thinking and low-level technical expertise in autonomy-relevant engineering methods and processes. Detailed knowledge of vehicle electronics, embedded software, controls, autonomy, AI/ML, and mechatronics are crucial to delivering cost-effective autonomy at scale. Hands-on experience building Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) capabilities is a key enabler for this role. MBSE provides the structure connecting our Product, Systems Engineering, Safety and Reliability capabilities, providing the traceability and design automation needed to enable rapid product iteration to remain at the forefront of the AV trucking market. This role has strong cross-functional collaboration with all groups across TuSimple, including other Engineering teams, IT Infrastructure, Quality, and Test Operations. It also comes with significant supplier, partner, customer, industry and regulatory interfacing responsibilities. As such, extremely strong business, interpersonal, communication and leadership acumen are also basic requirements for this position.
This role reports directly to the Vice President - Systems & Safety Engineering.
- Lead the team responsible for delivery of product requirements, systems requirements, safety case, reliability models and analyses to ensure the delivery of a sufficiently safe AV system
- Act as a deep subject matter expert on the product design, systems architecture and autonomy software implementation for AV trucking systems
- Lead the team responsible for understanding product needs and customer needs and translating them into robust, quantitative engineering requirements
- Work closely across engineering and operations leadership to ensure tight connectivity and alignment with the overall MBSE and MBD process
- Hire, develop and retain strong talent, building a state-of-the-art MBSE capability that maximizes reuse & flexibility and accelerates understanding of system-level behaviors
- Own selection of systems engineering tools & processes necessary to efficiently perform safety analysis, reliability analysis, requirements generation, traceability and book-keeping
- Work closely with the Systems V&V team to ensure requirements gaps identified through on-road operations and test cases are addressed in a timely manner
Experience & Skills Required
- Masters degree in Systems, Control, Mechanical, Electrical or a related Engineering field
- 10 years of experience in systems engineering in a highly-regulated safety-critical industry like Automotive, Aerospace & Defense, Energy or Chemical Processing. 3 years may be substituted with a PhD and/or Post-Doctoral research experience.
- 5 years of management experience, leading engineers in a complex (sub)system design function
- 5 years experience with New Product Development (NPI) and New Technology Introduction (NTI) processes from a major safety-critical industry
- Deep competence in at least one core robotics and autonomy discipline (i.e. perception, sensing, controls, AI/ML, embedded software)
- Experience with modeling of software, robotic or similarly complex electro-mechanical systems
- Demonstrated ability to develop, document & institutionalize new engineering tools & processes within an AGILE development environment
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills across oral and written media
- Product management, Program management, Technical project management or Project Engineering experience
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Ph.D. Degree in Controls, Robotics, Mechatronics or other modeling-centric field, including Mechanical, Chemical, Electrical Engineering, or Applied Physics
- Advanced education in Systems Engineering or Certified Systems Engineering Professional (CSEP) qualification
- Systems Engineering leadership experience at the Senior Management level or abov
- Experience with Safety Engineering or FMVSS certification of automotive products
- Hands on experience developing architectures for complex safety-critical products using Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) tools and processes
- Strong communication & change management skills to accelerate MBSE adoption across TuSimple
- Product management, Program management, or Technical project management certification
Bonus Points (optional section)
- Automotive industry engineering experience, with a Level 2+ autonomous vehicle developer
- Broad experience working with automotive engineering & development standards
- Familiarity with an MBSE toolchain including UML/SysML modeling tools like Cameo, MagicDraw, Enterprise Architect, Rhapsody or equivalent offerings
- Understanding of ISO 21448, ISO26262, DO-178B/C, or ARP4761 safety-critical system standards
- Experience with fault trees, FMEA, and other Safety-centric methodologies
- Ability to write, review or functionally understand implemented C++ and/or Python code
- Experience working with requirements management tools like DOORS, Jama or equivalent
- 100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for you and your family
- Work visa sponsorship available
- Relocation assistance available
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner served every day
- Full kitchens on every floor with unlimited snacks, drinks, special treats, fruits, meals, and more
- Stock options / equity
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Monthly team building budget
- Learning/education budget
- Employer-paid life insurance
- Employer-paid long and short disability
TuSimple is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Hiring, transferring and promotion practices are performed without regard to the above-listed items.