TuSimple was founded in 2015 with the goal of bringing the top minds in the world together to achieve the dream of a driverless truck solution. With a foundation in computer vision, algorithms, mapping, and AI, TuSimple is working to create the first commercially viable autonomous truck driving platform with L4 (SAE) levels of safety. We are a leader in the Autonomous Trucking industry and you will have the chance to work alongside leading experts in the field.
TuSimple is seeking an experienced intellectual property (IP) paralegal to join its growing in-house IP team in San Diego, California. As an IP paralegal, you will lead and manage all operational aspects of TuSimple’s IP department and provide paralegal support to in-house patent attorneys, patent agents, and patent engineers. Your primary responsibilities will include building and managing IP operations, including facilitating correspondence, disclosure and patent docketing, filing, annuities, portfolio review, and file management as well as supporting patent prosecution, freedom-to-operate and competitive intelligence and third party monitoring.
- Design and implement new policies, procedures and systems for IP operations and administration
- Implement and manage docket database, as well as prepare patent docket reports and other IP portfolio reports
- Own the daily processing of incoming and outgoing correspondence with US and foreign outside counsel, USPTO and foreign patent offices; administer and maintain file and records management
- Prepare and file patent applications, responses to Office Actions, Information Disclosure Statements, and other correspondence with the USPTO
- Organize and coordinate invention disclosure tracking, review and evaluation; manage administration of the patent award program
- Support competitive intelligence and IP monitoring programs
- Assist patent engineers, patent agents, and/or patent attorneys on patentability and FTO assessment, transactions, litigation, post-grant proceedings and other IP counseling matters
- Track outside counsel and other legal budgets and expenses
- Work closely with IP leadership and client groups to enhance working relationships and ensure compliance with established standards and procedures
- Contribute to the identification of opportunities for continuous improvement of systems, processes, and practices to enable productivity improvement and cost reduction
- Bachelor’s degree and paralegal certification preferred but equivalent work experience will be considered
- 5+ years working experience as a patent paralegal, preferably in a corporate IP department
- Knowledge of all areas of administrative support for a corporate patent law practice is critical.
- Demonstrated history of successfully supporting patent engineers, patent agents, and/or patent attorneys in the preparation and prosecution of US and non-US patent matters
- Proficiency in US, PCT and other country law as it relates to prosecution and deadlines
- Ability to work closely with the IP team to develop, implement, and maintain docketing processes, procedures and/or policies for invention disclosures, patents, and patent applications, including daily or periodic clearance of workflow
- Experience using various software tools, including EFS and Private PAIR
- Ability to take ownership of docket, be proactive with deadlines, set work priorities and meet strict deadlines in a dynamic work environment
- Able to work independently and effectively as part of a team while handling multiple tasks and responsibilities simultaneously
- Demonstrated team player with willingness to collaborate and perform tasks outside of immediate job description when necessary to benefit the department as a whole
- Trademark or litigation experience
- Mandarin fluency
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Bonus/paid vacations/insurance
- Daily breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Full kitchen with unlimited snacks and fruits
- Medical, Vision, and Dental insurance plan
- Company 401(K) program
- Company paid life insurance
TuSimple is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Hiring, transferring and promotion practices are performed without regard to the above-listed items.