You may not realize it, but your insurance company knows a lot more about you and your household than even your bank.
At the same time, policyholders frequently face basic problems like inadequate, redundant, or overpriced coverage.
Trellis is a Series A technology start-up building APIs and embedded experiences that empower consumers to safely and easily access, share, and use their personal insurance information to get better-tailored, higher-quality products and services that offer maximum value.
Trellis has backing from multiple top venture capital investors, led by General Catalyst and QED Investors. Trellis is one of the fastest-growing and most profitable companies in the field of insurtech.
If you have car insurance, you can try a demo of Trellis at https://savvy.insure
Quick Facts About Trellis
Founded: March 2019
Founder & CEO: Daniel Demetri
- 3x fintech start-up exec
- Co-founder of States Title (now named Doma and exiting via SPAC at a $3B valuation)
- Led Product Management at online lender Earnest ($XXXM exit to Navient)
- Previously: Google, Harvard, multiple banks and hedge funds
Vision: Consumer financial services that automatically work in concert to support personal purpose and meaning
Mission: Unlock the full value of the data in consumers' personal insurance accounts
Traction: $XXMM of annualized revenue run-rate. Strategic partnerships with multiple Top 10 insurers, multiple top fintechs (e.g. Truebill, Albert, Chime), and multiple large online publishers. Net profitable in 2020.
Key investors: QED Investors (led Series A), General Catalyst (led Series Seed), NYCA Partners
Team size: 32 full-time equivalents (May 2021) and targeting 60+ by end of 2021
Location: 100% remote (US required)
- Extreme Ownership – We fulfill our promises to each other and to our customers. We own our responsibilities 110%.
- Speed – We work quickly and pragmatically.
- Collaboration – We work transparently, solicit feedback, and leave our egos at the door.
- Craft – We do a great job for the sake of it. We’re constantly learning and working at bettering ourselves and the way that we work.
- Positivity – We focus on the potential in the world and in each other. We rise to challenges rather than complain about them. We see a cup half full instead of half empty.
About the role
Trellis is looking for talented engineers to join our team. You will have ownership of projects through the entire development cycle - from planning and development to validation, iteration, and maintenance.
In this role, expect to
- Proactively identify opportunities to improve the quality, stability, and scalability of our systems. Our software is being integrated into some of the largest consumer facing properties in the world, and we need to be able to scale with them.
- Develop and implement a variety of new product features with real user impact
- Expand our network of providers to ensure we cover all the insurance needs of our customers.
- Work on APIs that enable a better digital experience for insurance buyers.
- Expand the functionality of our existing products based on insights from our analytics and experimentation effort
- Conduct code reviews and provide helpful feedback that maintains our high code quality behind our systems
- Collaborate cross functionally to solve business problems and continue to support our rapid growth
To succeed in this role, you have
- 4+ years developing software in a production environment
- Experience as a senior engineer on an agile development team
- A strong sense of pride in the quality of your work and embracing ownership
- Proven experience working in backend systems (RESTful APIs, datastores)
- Previous experience writing high-quality, effective testing that empowers developers instead of being a burden
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate about technical problems and propose solutions
- The ability to work in complex systems that require deep domain context - being in the middle isn’t easy!
Nice to have, but not essential
- Experience working in fast paced, growing startups and understand all the additional demands that comes with this
- Production experience with our tech stack: Node, TypeScript, Firestore
- Familiarity with cloud environments, especially the Google Cloud stack
- Prior experience with Puppeteer
What Trellis can offer you
Trellis has been a remote-only company since inception and will always be remote-first. We know how to cultivate a successful and highly collaborative team despite the distance. This includes:
- Quarterly virtual events to connect with your team members while celebrating our success and accomplishments
- Budget for home office equipment.
- Clear norms and etiquette around virtual meetings.
- Semi-annual in person retreats with both work and non-work activities (once travel is safe again)
In addition to being one of the best remote companies to work for, Trellis also offers:
- A very generous time off policy with unlimited sick and personal days.
- 100% company-paid Platinum health plans for employees. Generous subsidy for dependents.
- 401(k) retirement savings plan.
- A fulfilling, high impact role on a team working to completely change the way people shop for insurance.