You may not realize it, but your insurance company knows a lot more about you and your household than even your bank.
At the same time, policyholders frequently face basic problems like inadequate, redundant, or overpriced coverage.
Trellis is a Series A technology start-up building APIs and embedded experiences that empower consumers to safely and easily access, share, and use their personal insurance information to get better-tailored, higher-quality products and services that offer maximum value.
Trellis has backing from multiple top venture capital investors, led by General Catalyst and QED Investors. Trellis is one of the fastest-growing and most profitable companies in the field of insurtech.
If you have car insurance, you can try a demo of Trellis at https://savvy.insure
Quick Facts About Trellis
Founded: March 2019
Founder & CEO: Daniel Demetri
- 3x fintech start-up exec
- Co-founder of States Title (now named Doma and exiting via SPAC at a $3B valuation)
- Led Product Management at online lender Earnest ($XXXM exit to Navient)
- Previously: Google, Harvard, multiple banks and hedge funds
Vision: Consumer financial services that automatically work in concert to support personal purpose and meaning
Mission: Unlock the full value of the data in consumers' personal insurance accounts
Traction: $XXMM of annualized revenue run-rate. Strategic partnerships with multiple Top 10 insurers, multiple top fintechs (e.g. Truebill, Albert, Chime), and multiple large online publishers. Net profitable in 2020.
Key investors: QED Investors (led Series A), General Catalyst (led Series Seed), NYCA Partners
Team size: 32 full-time equivalents (May 2021) and targeting 60+ by end of 2021
Location: 100% remote (US required)
- Extreme Ownership – We fulfill our promises to each other and to our customers. We own our responsibilities 110%.
- Speed – We work quickly and pragmatically.
- Collaboration – We work transparently, solicit feedback, and leave our egos at the door.
- Craft – We do a great job for the sake of it. We’re constantly learning and working at bettering ourselves and the way that we work.
- Positivity – We focus on the potential in the world and in each other. We rise to challenges rather than complain about them. We see a cup half full instead of half empty.
About the role
We’re looking for engineers with a keen eye for detail and a healthy impatience for mediocrity. We're a cloud-native company and we’re serious about doing infrastructure the right way. That means code first, serverless where it makes sense, highly orchestrated containers, blue green canaries, continuous deployment and about 50 other hot 2021 devops buzzwords, some of which actually mean something.
Our core infrastructure problems are seldom scale in the traditional sense, our work revolves around building predictability, reliability and flexibility into the system. We integrate with all kinds of providers via every mechanism imaginable (and then some), and our core infrastructure team supports it all.
In this role, expect to
- Plan, implement and manage Trellis’s cloud infrastructure
- Develop proactive monitoring and alerting on signals of symptoms, not just outages
- Work closely with engineering to ensure deployed code performs as expected, has a consistent, automated and “boring” path from developers machine to production
- Identify opportunities to incorporate new technologies or techniques into our process that improve reliability, level of automation or ability to respond to incidents.
To succeed in this role
- You have more than a few years experience in cloud infrastructure, lots of comfort with kubernetes and ideally some experience with Google Cloud.
- Have a good understanding of how the web works, can set up an SSL certificate in nginx like tying your shoes.
- You can put continuous integration and deployment best practices into action.
- You have a “reliability” mindset, bare curious and diligent in discovering ways to improve reliability
- You have an eye towards security, are committed to preventing network intrusion
- Work quickly and efficiently with a good sense of prioritization.
What Trellis can offer you
Trellis has been a remote-only company since inception and will always be remote-first. We know how to cultivate a successful and highly collaborative team despite the distance. This includes:
- Quarterly virtual events to connect with your team members while celebrating our success and accomplishments
- Budget for home office equipment.
- Clear norms and etiquette around virtual meetings.
- Semi-annual in person retreats with both work and non-work activities (once travel is safe again)
In addition to being one of the best remote companies to work for, Trellis also offers:
- A very generous time off policy with unlimited sick and personal days.
- 100% company-paid Platinum health plans for employees. Generous subsidy for dependents.
- 401(k) retirement savings plan.
- A fulfilling, high impact role on a team working to completely change the way people shop for insurance.