Tray.io is ushering in the era of the automated organisation
Bringing something complex like automation to business users means connecting and integrating what’s important to them. The Connectors Platform team has a direct impact on how we scale across and within industry areas and on the overall capability and feel of our platform through their ability to deliver, maintain and improve our portfolio of integrations. Through leading this team, you will have an unprecedented impact on how we are able to expand and perform.
We believe that any organisation can and should automate. With Tray.io, citizen automators throughout organisations can easily automate complex processes through a powerful, flexible platform, and can connect their entire cloud stack thanks to APIs. Today businesses like IBM, GitHub, Reddit, npm, Lyft, and Digital Ocean rely on Tray.io to connect and automate data flow between the tools they use every day. With Tray.io’s visual workflow builder, our customers create automations to drive their business processes without writing a single line of code. Our challenge is to build a cutting-edge product that is powerful and complete while also being beautiful and easy to use.
You'll contribute directly to this mission with a team that fully supports you to do your best work. You'll join humble but fiercely ambitious people like yourself, who also take great pride in what they do, working in a culture built on friendship, transparency, and above all, looking out for one another. You'll have endless opportunities to learn and grow professionally in a fun, fast-paced, and open environment. Plus, you'll get to make your mark at a rapidly-growing company positioned to completely reinvent a multibillion-dollar industry.
"With Tray, we have a group of experts who can help us explore all the possibilities we haven’t even thought of yet.” - Mike Atwood, Executive Director, Client Success / Vox Media
“I can’t emphasize enough just how good the Tray folks are at what they do.” - David Dorman, Director of Growth and Demand / DigitalOcean
At Tray.io, our mission is to become the central nervous system of the automated enterprise, since we understand that each cloud or on-prem application with which we can connect provides significant value to our customers. To achieve our goal, we had to find a way to deeply connect into various services and to develop new connectors and endpoints at scale. We knew that we had to use technology to scale our engineering capacity while also adding the flexibility that rapidly-growing and enterprise companies need without requiring an overly restrictive spec. We wanted to ensure our platform could provide not only the power to scale with our users needs, but also the flexibility to work with the services they use every day.
This has prompted the ideation of a variety of tools to augment our Connectors Platform, and in particular, the creation of Connector Press, an internal low-code user interface that sits on top of our powerful Connectors framework. It lets us abstract away common tasks that are usually required when coding connectors by hand. Since Connector Press also lives within the Tray Platform itself, it makes it much easier to test APIs with real authentications and real data. This lets our team quickly deploy changes and streamline the entire process. For simple REST APIs, Connector Press has let our team build and test simple endpoints in short timeframes. More-complex builds and updates will require additional development time, but it has become a valuable enhancement to our engineering capacity, and it also helps us provide the flexibility to responsively fill in any gaps among our customers' tech stacks.
We're always grateful to see our customers making full use of our platform's features, and the next step for us is to build a new version of Connector Press, which will make available to all our customers to use, as well as to our internal teams.
As Engineering Manager in the Connectors Platform team, you will lead the charge on the development of our internal and external core products and tooling. You will be an energetic, charismatic manager with a technical background to support and coach our engineers and help drive technical initiatives that improve our engineering practices. Your will focus on helping each team member with their personal and professional development, listening, guiding them through hard times and celebrating their successes. You will also help drive technical initiatives in partnership with senior engineers across multiple teams, such as product features, testing, accessibility or performance.
You will play a key role in helping shape the Tray Connectors Platform so that our customers can successfully run integrations at scale, and ensuring our infrastructure is performant, robust and secure. That said, your primary role is to lead and develop your wonderful team - taking care of hiring, onboarding, mentoring, coaching, career development, and performance management.
Within the wider engineering team, we want to build a positive team culture where you're supporting colleagues and empowering them to grow as technical leaders and people. The work that you do will enable your team to deliver on time and to the roadmap, and will ultimately have a direct impact on expanding the vision of the Tray Platform itself.
You will be working as part of a friendly, cross-discipline agile team who help each other solve problems on both server and client-side. Ideally, you will be an experienced developer and technical leader who has shipped large-scale single-page web apps in the past and has worked extensively with API integrations. You will be a forward thinker who can balance day-to-day pragmatism with an eye for the future growth of our platform, always showing a product-oriented mindset.
- Supporting, coaching and developing high performing engineers through regular 1:1s, continuous feedback and relationships with team leads.
- Supporting timely delivery of technical solutions to address business needs.
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices and help develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices.
- Partnering with tech leads and product managers to ensure delivery squads are properly staffed and able to be highly effective.
- Working closely with the Talent team to attract and hire high potential team members from diverse backgrounds.
- Contributing to management best practices: helping us become an exceptional place to work for the ambitious, highly motivated people that we hire.
- Helping to build an engineering organisation that can make a success of rapid growth.
- Growing a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with our company values.
- Getting involved in product decisions, and balancing technical requirements with customer needs.
- BS degree in Computer Science or a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Strong technical background, either in front-end with experience working with large Single Page App codebases, or in backend, building & running large-scale, highly-available, distributed systems.
- 1+ years of growing and managing a team of 3 engineers or more or relevant sustained experience leading/training a similar group.
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders (design, product, internal customers) to iterate upon ideas.
- An agile enthusiast and help teams constantly improve and refine their working practices.
- A real passion for developing, mentoring and supporting people. You care deeply about helping others achieve their goals, avoid burnout, and become the best engineers they can be.
- Strong technical and people troubleshooting skills. You have an empathetic leadership style which allows you to build strong, effective relationships.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Passionate about troubleshooting, debugging, and automation.
- Expert knowledge of data structures and algorithms.
- Knowledge of PWAs and Accessibility.
- Experience designing and documenting companion APIs for single-page apps
- Excellent written communication skills, with a portfolio of technical guides and employer branding pieces.
- Strong experience working with customers, both internal and external to deliver projects on time and budget.
Our current tech stack:
- PostgreSQL, Redis, ElasticSearch, DynamoDB, AWS SQS, AWS Kinesis, GitHub
- Docker, Terraform, AWS Lambda, Serverless Framework
- Jenkins, Grafana, Prometheus
- AWS & Linux
Working at Tray.io offers many perks, but most importantly we are a talented team with a passion for the product we are building.
- Competitive salary
- Stock options
- Unrestricted holiday policy & work from home days
- Flexible working hours
- A fun and supportive working environment
- Top of the range equipment budget
- Drinks fridge & stocked kitchen
- Social events (team breakfasts/lunches, evenings out & trips)
- Employer contributory pension scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Private healthcare
- 50% off Virgin Active gym membership
Tray.io is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, colour, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.