About Trail of Bits
As a cybersecurity research and consulting firm, our team has worked on some of the most innovative software projects millions of people use worldwide. We help the best companies in the world — Epic Games, Google, Microsoft, Zoom, and others — with their most complex security challenges by designing and building new technology, researching new techniques, and reviewing the security of the latest available products before they hit the market.
Our team considers developing and sharing our knowledge as a natural part of doing business. We push to publish every tool or project so the public — not just our clients — benefit from our expertise and innovations. It's a practice that's earned us industry accolades and helped contribute to our double-digit bottom-line growth.
Join Trail of Bits for a unique 2023 "Winternship" (Winter Internship) opportunity. This short-term remote program aligns with your University's winter break, letting you work on exciting projects while enjoying festive moments with family and friends. Starting in December and concluding in 3 to 6 weeks, the Winternship is tailored for impactful engagement. Transform your skills into tangible, real-world projects and seamlessly integrate them into high-impact solutions—Winterns will be paid $2,500 following program completion.
- Currently or recently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program.
- Available for at least three weeks between December 4, 2023, and January 26, 2024.
- Legally eligible to work in the United States either currently or upon graduation.
How to Apply
Option 1: Propose a Project
Projects should be short-term, achievable within the Wintership duration, and focused on cybersecurity. After the project concludes, project materials must be open-source code under a permissive license (e.g., Apache2) hosted on Trail of Bits' Github organization. Explore past Wintership programs for inspiration:
- Blockchain Internship
- Manticore GUI
- Optimizing Smart Contract Fuzzer
- Improving the State of Go-Fuzz
- Manticore UI
Option 2: Work on One of the Projects Below
- Testing out Cryptography CTF challenges
- AI/LLM or Machine Learning
- Verification and safety of GPUs
- Modeling end-to-end-encryption systems using Verifpal
- Mutation testing for smart contracts
- System attack surface mapping for threat modeling
- Symbolic execution support for Echidna smart contract fuzzer.
- CodeQl queries
- Distill our guidance about AWS Nitro/SGX into material for our CTF Field guide
(Our project offerings are not limited to the ones above)
What You’ll Learn During the Winternship
Collaborate with experts, gain insights, and contribute with the latest technology to be impactful. We streamline organization through Slack, Google Meet, and GitHub and follow a structured workflow, experiencing project inception, scheduling, and debriefing mirroring real-world practices.
Enhance communication skills through close collaboration with a dedicated copywriter, crafting an engaging end-of-Wintership blog post that solidifies your learnings. Experience hands-on project work, technology integration, and collaborative mentorship, ensuring your Trail of Bits Wintership equips you with essential skills for future success.
- Before, during and after COVID-19, our workforce works flexibly. Many employees choose to work from home around the globe. As long as you deliver against your goals, we encourage you to harness your personal working style to let you work best.
- Liberal expense policy for acquiring the equipment and software that help you do your job. If we need hardware to work effectively, we buy it.
- We offer exceptional and tailored technical, leadership and organizational training for our team members. Everyone is encouraged to identify additional opportunities for personal professional growth with working at Trail of Bits.
- We routinely highlight the amazing work our employees do via our blog, product offerings, and conference talks. We celebrate you!
- We're at the forefront of a number of markets and have the internal expertise and the ambition to capitalize on those opportunities. Our employees see their work in use and valued by many others.
- Multiple generous health, vision, and dental insurance plans.
- Ancillary benefits including life and disability insurance.
- Retirement plan with 5% company matching.
- 4 months paid parental leave.
- Moving expenses to NY: $5,000 one-time.
- Charitable donations matching up to $2,000.
- One time $1,000 at home office expense stipend.
- $500/year personal learning & development budget.
- Executive coaching for managers & above.
- Bonuses for recruiting, public speaking, tool releases, blog posts, academic posters, proposals, and whitepapers, and end-of-year bonuses based on company, team, and personal performance.
- 20 days of PTO per year for vacation, sick, and personal time off.
- 15 company holidays per year.
- Carbon offsets for your personal and corporate carbon emissions through Project Wren.
Dedication to diversity, equity & inclusion