Our research team is looking for self-motivated teammates interested in exploring low-level technologies. We focus on discovering vulnerabilities, traversing security boundaries, and executing arbitrary code. You are expected to be at the forefront of security: researching, discovering and exploiting vulnerabilities in complex systems with millions of lines of code and the most advanced modern mitigations. Our team is fully remote, with a strong culture of teamwork and an interest in difficult projects. We often work in small fluid teams of 2-3 people, and encourage all researchers to learn from and contribute their expertise to all ongoing projects. We encourage moving between projects so as to develop and grow our internal expertise. We value creativity and deep understanding of software. Solid engineering skills are required for developing custom tooling to assist in your work. We encourage frequent communication between team members as it is essential to our success.
- Discover software vulnerabilities in complex code bases
- Research exploitation and security mitigation bypass techniques
- Reverse engineer software using IDA Pro and HexRays decompiler
- Navigate and understand large source code codebases
- Fully understand systems and identify trust/security boundaries and attack surfaces
- Write detailed technical documentation
- Develop custom tools to assist in your work
- Proficiency working both independently and within a team
- Demonstrated successes in the discovery of software vulnerabilities
- Focus on achieving the highest possible reliability
- Detailed understanding of how computers work
- Experience using IDA and HexRays
- Familiarity with compiler internals
- Familiarity with operating system architecture
- Have an open mind and learning mindset
- Proficient in C and C++
- Proficient in Python
- Proficient in X86-64 and ARM64
- Experience with IDA Pro scripting and plugin development (HexRays a plus)
- Desire to learn both new and old technologies
- Desire to develop solutions as good as they can possibly be
- Ability to communicate and document how complex systems work
- Ability to stay motivated and focused while solving challenging problems
- Due to the nature of this role, this person must be a US Citizen
The US estimated base salary for this full-time W2 employee role is $160,000-$250,000, not including bonus and benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, location, and employment type. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by a variety of factors, include but not limited to work location, job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training.Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
- Before, during and after COVID-19, our workforce works flexibly. Many employees choose to work from home around the globe. As long as you deliver against your goals, we encourage you to harness your personal working style to let you work best.
- Liberal expense policy for acquiring the equipment and software that help you do your job. If we need hardware to work effectively, we buy it.
- We offer exceptional and tailored technical, leadership and organizational training for our team members. Everyone is encouraged to identify additional opportunities for personal professional growth with working at Trail of Bits.
- We routinely highlight the amazing work our employees do via our blog, product offerings, and conference talks. We celebrate you!
- We're at the forefront of a number of markets and have the internal expertise and the ambition to capitalize on those opportunities. Our employees see their work in use and valued by many others.
- Multiple generous health, vision, and dental insurance plans.
- Ancillary benefits including life and disability insurance.
- Retirement plan with 5% company matching.
- 4 months paid parental leave.
- Moving expenses: $5,000 one-time.
- Charitable donations matching up to $2,000.
- One time $1,000 at home office expense stipend.
- $500/year personal learning & development budget.
- Executive coaching for managers & above.
- Bonuses for recruiting, public speaking, tool releases, blog posts, academic posters, proposals, and whitepapers, and end-of-year bonuses based on company, team, and personal performance.
- 20 days of PTO per year for vacation, sick, and personal time off.
- 15 company holidays per year.
- Carbon offsets for your personal and corporate carbon emissions through Project Wren.
Dedication to diversity, equity & inclusion