Totus Medicines, an innovative therapeutic drug discovery biotech, is just emerging from stealth. With a $40M Series A, Totus is poised to revolutionize drug discovery. For the first time, Totus is enabling genome-scale drug discovery to allow the identification of precision medicines for hard-to-drug targets. At its core, Totus is a chemical biology company. Totus’ novel proprietary platform allows screening at a rate more than 100,000 times faster than competitive technologies. Totus has pioneered the development of selective medicines for patients with genetically defined cancers and plans for its first program to enter Phase I by end of 2022. Totus also plans to expand their platform to create therapeutics targeted at neurodegeneration, infectious diseases, and others. We are searching for talented, passionate, high-energy candidates to join our growing team.
We are seeking a Head of Biology and Pharmacology to help us discover and develop small molecule therapies based on a first in the industry genome scale drug discovery platform. This position has the unique opportunity to both create and implement a strategy that will make a major impact in our mission - ending the era of untreatable disease. The Head of Biology and Pharmacology will lead in vitro and in vivo characterization of novel small molecules to support our growing pipeline. S/he will also be responsible to help build Totus Medicines’ biology and pharmacology team in Emeryville, California. The successful candidate will be a confident leader with extensive prior success in translational drug development, preferably in oncology. Experience leading and working within multi-disciplinary drug discovery and preclinical development teams is preferred. Strong leadership skills including scientific and strategic management, team building and clear communication to key stakeholders is required. You will lead a group of highly talented scientists working closely with the Platform Screening and Medicinal Chemistry teams to advance new therapeutics focusing on hard-to-drug oncology targets.
In this role you will:
- Define and execute the company’s discovery biology and pharmacology strategy
- Direct the in vitro characterization efforts of pipeline program compounds.
- Direct preclinical in vivo efforts to characterize the activity and pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic (PK/PD) properties of pipeline program compounds from discovery into IND enabling studies
- Work closely with the company’s SAB and other key stakeholders to advance our pipeline programs.
- Build, lead and manage a high-performing group of talented scientists
- Perform research and development in cross-functional collaboration for projects in a range of potential indications
- Communicate, as appropriate, efforts and progress to internal and external parties
- Sets vision and direction through resource allocation decisions for the biology and pharmacology team.
- Develops and implements strategic plans and objectives for the biology and pharmacology team in alignment with corporate strategy; oversees direction and approves tactical administrative or operational policies and resource allocation decisions to ensure achievement of objectives
- Ph.D. or equivalent degree in biology or related discipline with 12+ years of industry experience and an excellent track record
- Scientific leadership experience coordinating research teams working concurrently on multiple projects
- Experience in oncology and other therapeutic areas (e.g., immunology, metabolic disease, cardiovascular disease, neurology, or orphan diseases)
- Successful track record of guiding drug discovery programs. In particular, experience with multiple targets and a class-based approach is desired
- Prior experience leading or working within collaborations involving external academic, biotechnology, and contract research organizations
What We Offer
A knowledgeable, high-achieving, experienced and fun team
A diverse work atmosphere
The chance to be part of a growing startup and the next success story
The opportunity to shape our company culture
Constant learning and dynamic challenges to help you grow and be the best version of yourself