Totus Medicines is an innovative therapeutic drug discovery biotech that has developed a platform focused on targeted covalent drugs. This novel proprietary platform will enable Totus to deliver candidates against challenging targets in months, not years – 100,000 times faster than competitive technologies and has the potential to expand the spectrum of drug targets to be screened for any disease process.
Totus discovered its first-in-class covalent program in 4 months and entered Phase I in 2023. Totus also plans to expand their platform to create therapeutics targeted at neurodegeneration, infectious diseases, and others. We are searching for talented, passionate, agile candidates to join our team.
We are seeking an experienced and motivated scientist to lead mass spectrometry efforts on our Platform team. This role provides exposure to multiple phases of drug discovery and development with a mission to characterize covalent small molecule-protein interactions and develop new sample workflows for chemoproteomics. The successful candidate will interface closely with chemistry and biology colleagues across Totus and be a key contributor on a diverse, multidisciplinary team.
- Lead protein mass spectrometry campaigns across a multidisciplinary Platform Team in pursuit of enabling covalent drug discovery
- Propose, implement, and execute experimental approaches probing the effects of covalent small molecule therapeutics including: characterizing target engagement of intact proteins, determining site of engagement via peptide mapping, and interrogating off-target binding
- Interpret intact mass and targeted proteomics data and present findings to cross-functional collaborators
- Communicate effectively with Platform Chemistry and Platform Biology teams to guide screening and drug discovery
- Acting subject matter expert in analytical- and nano-LCMS
- PhD in Analytical Chemistry, or a closely related field, with 4+ years of industry experience or MS with 8+ years of industry experience
- Experience with large molecule characterization by LCMS (Intact protein MS and bottom-up proteomics experience required; experience with intact oligonucleotide analysis a plus)
- Expert-level experience with operating and maintaining LCMS systems (Experience with Agilent QTOFs and LCs is a plus)
- Must be skilled in operation of MS data analysis and reporting software (Experience with Agilent Bioconfirm, Skyline, or Protein Metrics Intact is a plus)
- Identify and evaluate emerging technologies for protein MS and covalent ligand discovery
- Strong understanding of relevant concepts in cancer biology, protein biochemistry, protein structure, and a general understanding of chemical reactivity is required
- The desire and ability to contribute to teams working on challenging scientific problems and first-in-class therapeutics