Totus Medicines, an innovative therapeutic drug discovery biotech, is just emerging from stealth. With a $40M Series A, Totus is poised to revolutionize drug discovery. For the first time, Totus is enabling genome-scale drug discovery to allow the identification of precision medicines for hard-to-drug targets. At its core, Totus is a chemical biology company. Totus’ novel proprietary platform allows screening at a rate more than 100,000 times faster than competitive technologies. Totus has pioneered the development of selective medicines for patients with genetically defined cancers and plans for its first program to enter Phase I by end of 2022. Totus also plans to expand their platform to create therapeutics targeted at neurodegeneration, infectious diseases, and others. We are searching for talented, passionate, high-energy candidates to join our growing team.
About the Role:
The role will report to the Vice President of Platform and build a matrix team to enable close collaborative interactions with all R&D functions. The Automation Engineering and High-Throughput Assays functional groups will report to this role. These subject-matter experts are responsible for providing technical expertise, design and validation of high-throughput assays, and management of integrated automation solutions throughout the asset lifecycle (i.e., project feasibility studies, capital projects, and optimization of assets). In addition, they are accountable for the development and implementation of automation design standards and best practices. As needed, the role will also be responsible for scoping and recruiting new functional groups to maintain continuous operation of automated systems at Totus.
- Provide leadership and oversight to the Automation Engineering and High-Throughput Assays functions, including creating a vision, strategy and operating model for use of integrated automation solutions in cell therapy development.
- Develop capabilities and expertise in Automation Engineering and High-Throughput Assay development. Ensure engineering processes are efficient and effective, and that assays built are robust and responsive to the requirements of R&D teams.
- Provide coaching and mentorship to subject-matter experts in Automation Engineering and High-Throughput Assays, and ensure sufficient expertise to support the organization.
- In partnership with key stakeholders, play a pivotal role in developing and evolving engineering standards and technology advances in automation engineering and high-throughput assay strategies. Leverage innovative technologies and tools to anticipate and prepare the organization for future challenges/opportunities in discovery and product development.
- Keep pace with equipment and engineering industry trends and implications for the business. Ensure innovative, sustainable and cost-effective design and implementation strategies. Develop excellent partnerships with external automation engineering and high-throughput assay instrument firms to leverage external engineering expertise and services where needed.
What You Will Bring:
- PhD or other advanced degree in engineering, cell or molecular biology, or a related field
- 10+ years experience developing and implementing cell-based assays in the context of advanced laboratory automation
- 5+ years of relevant management experience
- Proven track-record of technical leadership and achievement
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, hard-working, multi-disciplinary, start-up environment
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize and deliver results
- Excellent communication and influencing skills and a desire to work collaboratively and lead in a matrix environment
- Familiarity with oncology, immuno oncology, integrative genomics and/or mammalian synthetic biology is highly desirable
What We Offer
A knowledgeable, high-achieving, experienced and fun team
A diverse work atmosphere
The chance to be part of a growing startup and the next success story
The opportunity to shape our company culture
Constant learning and dynamic challenges to help you grow and be the best version of yourself