A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $600B+ industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in every U.S. county
- 80 million projects started on Thumbtack
- 10 million 5-star reviews and counting
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- 1000+ employees
- $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the Team
Home Care Plan is a product team that works cross-functionally to build an intuitive customer experience that helps guide homeowners through everything involved in maintaining their homes. The team consists of engineers across backend and frontend (also iOS and Android) who work together to develop and iterate on new features for homeowners on the platform. We collaborate with our partners across product, research, design, analytics, marketing, and customer success to bring a well-rounded experience to homeowners. Home Care Plan owns many critical parts of the customer-facing product including the plan summary and project details views.
The challenge for Home Care Plan is making it as simple and painless as possible to help homeowners go from knowing that something needs to get done - to it being done. We do this by providing tools to help homeowners keep track of their projects and educate themselves so that they know what to expect and build a team of trusted pros.
- Drive engineering projects to completion, with a tenacious focus on the business impact of those projects. Skilled at prioritizing tasks to deliver on goals with a sense of urgency
- Execute new ideas quickly and effectively in Android while also being a resource to other teams and engineers
- Willing, when necessary, to solve tough technical problems at any level of the stack, and be persistent in getting to the solution
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams such as Product and Design to plan and execute on engineering projects
- Work on large projects and lead small teams of engineers
What you’ll need
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Minimum of 5 years of industry experience in engineering
- Hands-on experience with Kotlin or Java
- Passionate Android engineer comfortable in building, testing, releasing, and maintaining Android applications
- Experience with popular 3rd party libraries, frameworks, and services like RxJava, ButterKnife, AutoValue, Retrofit, Dagger, Crashlytics, and Amplitude, including when not to use one
Bonus points if you have
- Strong eye for beautiful design and user experience
- Familiarity with Material design principles and components
- Able to explain technical concepts clearly and write good documentation
- You’re data-driven and dedicated to thorough testing to maintain high-quality software
- Excited by the potential of mobile technology to transform the lives of small businesses around the country
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines.* Learn more about our virtual-first working model here.
For candidates living in San Francisco / Bay Area, New York City, or Seattle metros, the expected salary range for the role is currently $180,000 - $250,000. Actual offered salaries will vary and will be based on various factors, such as calibrated job level, qualifications, skills, competencies, and proficiency for the role.
For candidates living in all other US locations, the expected salary range for this role is currently $170,000 - $215,000. Actual offered salaries will vary and will be based on various factors, such as calibrated job level, qualifications, skills, competencies, and proficiency for the role.
- Virtual-first working model coupled with in-person events
- 20 company-wide holidays including a week-long end-of-year company shutdown
- Libraries (optional use collaboration & connection hubs) in San Francisco and Salt Lake City
- WiFi reimbursements
- Cell phone reimbursements (North America)
- Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
Learn More About Us
- Life @ Thumbtack Blog
- How Thumbtack is embracing virtual work
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Meet the pros who inspire us
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, state, or local law. We also will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable law.
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact: email@example.com.