A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $600B+ industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 75 million projects started on Thumbtack
- 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- More than 9 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the Data Engineering Team
Thumbtack’s Data Engineering team is a centralized team that works closely with engineers, analysts, data scientists, and machine learning engineers to help design and curate data sets originating from internal and third-party sources to meet current and future needs. Over the next year, it will continue to build on its prior successes in building a more cohesive data warehouse while starting to work more deeply upstream to build data best practices into the full software development lifecycle (SDLC).
This unique role will help develop and build the vision of incorporating data more fully into the SDLC at Thumbtack, while both designing and modeling datasets collaboratively with other teams, and also getting one’s hands dirty using a modern data stack. Thumbtack fosters a very collaborative culture of builders, and as such, Data Architects do not simply review data design RFCs and sign off on them, you’ll build and mentor engineers as we go.
- Collaboratively refine and evangelize a comprehensive framework for integrating data-thinking into the software development lifecycle for product teams
- Design, architect, and maintain core datasets, data marts, and feature stores that support a blend of mature products and features with a rapidly evolving product line, in partnership with analytics, data science, and machine learning
- Integrate with teams consisting of product engineers, analysts, data scientists, machine learning engineers throughout the organization to understand their data needs, and help design datasets with the same engineering rigor as any other software we design
- Drive data quality and best practices across key product and business areas
- Help build the next generation of data products at Thumbtack, based on real-time data products on top of Apache Kafka
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 8 or more years of experience designing and building data sets and warehouses
- Excellent ability to understand the needs of and collaborate with stakeholders in other functions, especially Analytics, and identify opportunities for process improvements across teams
- Expertise in SQL for not only for analytics/reporting/business intelligence, but also in building SQL-based transforms inside an ETL pipeline
- Experience designing, architecting, and maintaining a data warehouse and data marts that seamlessly stitches together data from production databases, clickstream data, and external APIs to serve multiple stakeholders
- Familiarity building the above with a modern data stack based on a cloud-native data warehouse, in our case we use BigQuery, dbt, and Apache Airflow, but a similar stack is fine
- Strong sense of ownership and pride in your work, from ideation and requirements-gathering to project completion and maintenance
- Experience building ETL data pipelines in a programming language, like Python or Scala
- Experience using and/or configuring Business Intelligence tools (Looker, Tableau, Mode, et al)
- Understanding of database internals and query optimization
- Experience working with semi-structured or unstructured data in a data lake or similar
- Experience working in data engineering or a similar discipline at a two-sided marketplace or similar B2C technology company
- Experience mentoring and coaching data engineers and/or analysts
For candidates living in San Francisco / Bay Area, New York City, or Seattle metros, the expected salary range for the role is currently $245,000 - $290,000. Actual offered salaries will vary and will be based on various factors, such as calibrated job level, qualifications, skills, competencies, and proficiency for the role.
- Virtual-first working model coupled with quarterly in-person events and Camp Thumbtack
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and Thumbtack services
- Cell phone and WiFi reimbursements
- Subscriptions and Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
Learn More About Us
- Life @ Thumbtack Blog
- How Thumbtack is embracing virtual work
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Meet the pros who inspire us
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, state, or local law. We also will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable law.
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact: email@example.com.