We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7.5 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the Application Infrastructure Team
The Application Infrastructure team works to improve developer productivity and product quality at Thumbtack. We collaborate regularly with engineering and the design systems teams to deliver the tools and frameworks that make it easy for our engineers to create user experiences that are accessible, performant, and secure.
At Thumbtack, engineers at every level build products and systems that directly impact our customers and professionals. Our challenges span a wide variety of areas, ranging from building search and booking experiences to optimizing pricing systems, to building tools to help professionals grow their businesses. We believe in tackling these hard problems together as a team, with strong values around collaboration, ownership, and transparency. To read more about the hard problems that our team is taking on, visit our engineering blog.
About the Role
As a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll focus on bringing the Thumbtack vision to life. You’ll collaborate with other engineers, designers, and product managers to execute on a broad range of projects. This could include building new features to improve the experience of our users, architecting infrastructure to support a fast-growing user base, or optimizing our marketplace mechanics to make better matches between customers and professionals.
- Drive backend infrastructure projects to completion, with a tenacious focus on the business and developer productivity impact of those projects.
- Work closely with engineers on product teams across the organization, as well as with other infrastructure teams to gather feedback, prioritize projects, and deliver solutions.
- Explore new frameworks and processes while also being able to discuss when (or when not) to use them.
- Willing, when necessary, to solve tough technical problems at any level of the stack, and be persistent in getting to the solution.
- Participate in a culture that values thoughtful code reviews and frequent deploys.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Minimum of 5+ years of industry experience in engineering.
- You’re fluent in at least one major programming language and would be able to switch between multiple languages. In our stack, we mainly use Go, Scala, PHP, with Swift, Kotlin, and Java for our mobile apps.
- You have solid experience building software on top of relational databases such as Postgres or MySQL.
- You know what it means to write high-quality, maintainable, testable code, and you enjoy doing it.
- You can break down complex problems rigorously and understand the tradeoffs necessary to deliver great, impactful products.
- You’re curious, you’re data-driven, you love to ask questions, and you think critically about problems.
- You love delivering value to your users and your teammates through your work.
- You have experience building and maintaining reliable, performant distributed systems.
- You’ve owned and driven the development of complex projects or feature areas over the course of several months or years.
- You’ve used AWS and/or GCP and its suite of technologies such as DynamoDB, Elastic Beanstalk, etc.
- You’re familiar with the big data ecosystem (Hadoop/HDFS, Hive, Spark, etc).
- You’ve demonstrated your ability to thrive in a fast-paced startup environment.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.