We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7.5 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the Legal Team
Our legal team is responsible for managing risk across the business while doing proactive general counseling that allows Thumbtack to move quickly, make solid decisions and grow responsibly. We partner cross-functionally with finance, engineering, product, marketing, sales, the people team, operations and more to craft a marketplace that delivers business to our pros while helping millions of our users get their home projects done each year. Our job is to enable the company’s performance, while balancing the risk in front of us. We see ourselves as the “Road to Yes,” not the slippery slope to No.
About the Role
As Senior Counsel, Securities, you will be responsible for building and implementing all aspects of Thumbtack’s SEC corporate regulatory filings. As we scale our business you will partner with our finance and accounting teams to establish and execute on processes for reporting and compliance. In addition, you will be a core member of the legal team’s corporate work, assisting on corporate transactions as well as day-to-day needs of the finance and accounting teams. We are a tight knit and collaborative team and you will also have exposure to many other legal team workflows where you can add-value and help us execute at a high level.
- Design and implement processes for the Company’s SEC filings and other corporate regulatory filings, including SOX compliance and preparing SEC filings such as Forms 10-K, 10-Q, 8-K and Section 16 reporting.
- Provide legal support to our acquisitions, capital markets offerings and other important corporate transactions.
- Support corporate and board matters for our international subsidiaries.
- Support our communications and investor relations teams by conducting legal review of press releases, earnings releases, investor presentations and other materials.
- Serve as liaison between our finance and accounting teams and legal on all SEC matters.
- Provide day-to-day legal advice and support related to public disclosure and securities law related matters, including compliance with stock exchange rules, securities rules and regulations, internal disclosure policies and other matters.
- Provide legal support on governance matters, including including 10b5-1 plans, insider trading policies, internal controls and compliance.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- J.D. and more than 5 years of legal experience at a major law firm advising public companies on securities law matters
- Solid knowledge of SEC and stock exchange rules
- Strong problem-solving, strategic thinking, and written/verbal communication skills
- Good judgment and ability to balance risk and productivity in a business environment
- Independently motivated, while collaborative in execution
- Ability and openness to receive constructive feedback and act on same
- Registered to practice law in your local jurisdiction
- Experience with marketplace technology companies
- Has experience with a scaling legal function or scaling company
- Willingness to try new areas of responsibility and triage issues with which you’re not familiar
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines*. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries. We always prioritize the health and safety of our employees. Currently, participation in these events and Thumbtack library use are optional. Both require employees to be fully vaccinated.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.