We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7.5 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the Internal Controls Team
The Internal Controls Team is responsible for all things related to controls for the Company and is involved in all aspects of the business, ensuring that we properly design and implement controls for key business processes and systems, develop and document control policies and procedures, and implement new systems and processes to enhance the Company’s internal controls function.
About the Role
As the Senior Analyst of Internal Controls, you’ll have the exciting opportunity to come into a newly formed team and work closely with all members of the Global Thumbtack Accounting team to implement policies and procedures and controls to support the Company’s maturity efforts. This will include an end to end controls assessment, building out an internal controls function within the organization, supporting the roll out of a new controls system, and everything that comes with that. The opportunities are endless and this role will be the person to help build out the control function.
You’ll get to grow with a team and have team support while getting to make a huge impact on implementing new systems and processes and putting in place controls to aid the Company in maturing.
- Assist in design and implement global Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) programs including risk identification, control gaps, risk control matrix, proposals around remediation, cross team collaboration on such efforts.
- Work with functional business areas within the organization to support various stakeholders on internal control related matters, including but not limited to other Controllership functions, Financial Planning and Analysis, IT, HR, and many others
- Prepare documentation supporting conclusions on the operating effectiveness of the company's internal controls over financial reporting, ensuring that the work papers meet internal and professional standards, are aligned with the COSO 2013 framework, and are available to key stakeholders as appropriate.
- Work with business process owners to gain an understanding of the process, and offer recommendations in designing new processes and controls. Assess and make recommendations / suggestions regarding the efficiency and effectiveness of processes and operations
- Document and report the results of internal control testing including remedial actions to senior management, communicating control gaps and deficiencies to process owners and other business leaders.
- Support quarterly/yearly audits including control related matters and discussions and directly interact and manage relationships with external auditors
- Assist with or be responsible for other duties and ad-hoc projects.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 5+ years relevant SOX 404 compliance, internal controls, internal auditing, accounting, and auditing experience within Public accounting, Internal Audit firms, public company or related area
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting or Related field
- Strong knowledge of financial audit and financial and operational internal control methodologies and terminology (e.g. COSO), as well as the Sarbanes Oxley Act of 2002 and Audit Standard 5, including documentation and testing
- Must be a "self-starter" with a can-do demeanor and a serious desire to have a positive impact on Thumbtack
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills including the ability to collaborate cross functionally
- Strong attention to detail, organized and thorough with desire for continuous improvement
- Professional certifications such as CPA/CIA/CISA.
- Experience with NetSuite, G Suite, Visio and / or Lucidchart is a plus
- Experience in performing operational internal audits is preferred but not required.
- Public accounting or internal auditing experience with Big 4 firms is preferred.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines*. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries. We always prioritize the health and safety of our employees. Currently, participation in these events and Thumbtack library use are optional. Both require employees to be fully vaccinated.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.