We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7.5 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the Machine Learning Infrastructure Team
At Thumbtack, our challenges span a wide variety of areas, ranging from building search, ranking & recommendations systems to optimizing pricing and spam detection models. The ML Infrastructure team is responsible for centralizing, standardizing and evolving machine learning infrastructure capabilities for teams across engineering that experiment with or deploy machine learning models for different problems. To read more about some of the engineering challenges at Thumbtack, visit our engineering blog.
About the Role
As a Senior Software Engineer focused on ML Infrastructure, you’ll focus on bringing the Thumbtack’s ML Infrastructure vision to life. You’ll collaborate with engineers, data scientists and product managers across engineering to refine and execute on our shared vision for feature engineering, model experimentation, model deployment and model monitoring. This could include introducing the latest feature engineering & model building frameworks, creating a standardized process for model deployment and monitoring, working with the data platform team on evolving feature storage, or working with data scientists on productization of complex models.
- Collaborate with engineers, data scientists and product managers to identify shared ML infrastructure needs across areas like feature engineering, model experimentation, model inference & CI/CD, and model monitoring.
- Centralize and standardize ML infrastructure & associated best practices for product teams across engineering.
- When appropriate, experiment with and introduce next-generation ML infrastructure capabilities and frameworks so product teams can continue to harness the power of open source / vendor-driven advances in machine learning.
- Drive projects to completion with a tenacious focus on the business impact of those projects.
- Solve tough technical problems and stay up-to-date with the latest advances in this constantly evolving problem space.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 5+ years of industry experience in engineering.
- 2+ years of industry experience working on machine learning modeling or infrastructure.
- You’re fluent in at least one major programming language and would be able to switch between multiple languages. In our stack, we use Go, Scala & Python.
- You have experience building software on top of relational databases such as Postgres or MySQL.
- You can break down complex problems rigorously and understand the tradeoffs necessary to deliver great, impactful products.
- You’re curious, you’re data-driven, you love to ask questions, and you think critically about problems.
- You love delivering value to your users and your teammates through your work.
- You have experience building and evolving machine learning infrastructure.
- You have worked with frameworks like Tensorflow, Scikit, Airflow, AWS SageMaker.
- You have experience building and maintaining reliable, performant distributed systems.
- You’re familiar working with major cloud providers and/or the big data ecosystem (Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, Hive, Spark, etc).
- You’ve demonstrated your ability to thrive in a fast-paced startup environment.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.