We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7.5 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the Developer Experience Team
The Developer Experience team is working to improve developer velocity at Thumbtack by reducing friction in the development process. The team is responsible for maintaining and improving developer tooling and software used across the Thumbtack engineering organization. Our primary challenge is making the development environment easier to use for all engineers. We are achieving this by optimizing performance, improving usability, and enabling configuration of our microservices to run locally or in the cloud. We believe in tackling hard problems together as a team, with strong values around collaboration, ownership, and transparency. To read more about the hard problems that our team is taking on, visit our engineering blog.
About the Role
As an engineering team grows in size and scope, the organization must pay careful attention to the tooling that enables developers to accomplish their goals; investments in productivity multiply the output of the team. Builds must be expedient, iteration cycles must be minimized, repetitive actions must be automated. The Developer Experience team ensures that Thumbtack developers are using the best tools available in order to deliver robust, secure, correct, and fast systems as quickly as possible, whether they are built in-house or not.
- Collaboratively develop and own engineering best practices across the engineering team, and help build the roadmap for developer tooling.
- Work closely with engineers across the organization to identify pain points and gaps in tooling, and iterate with them on delivering solutions.
- Drive engineering projects to completion, with a tenacious focus on the developer impact of those projects. Prioritize tasks to deliver on goals with a sense of urgency.
- Solve tough technical problems at any level of the stack, and be persistent in getting to the solution, whether it involves front-end, back-end, or infrastructure work.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Minimum of 5+ years of industry experience in software engineering.
- You’re fluent in at least one major programming language and would be able to switch between multiple languages. In our stack, we mainly use Go, Scala, PHP, with Swift, Kotlin and Java for our mobile apps. Our developer tooling is primarily in Python.
- You know what it means to write high quality, maintainable, testable code, and you enjoy doing it.
- You can break down complex problems rigorously and understand the tradeoffs necessary to deliver great, impactful products.
- You care deeply about developer tooling, and have consistently made improvements to the developer environment around you throughout your career.
- You’re curious, you’re data-driven, you love to ask questions, and you think critically about problems.
- You love delivering value to your users and your teammates through your work.
- You have experience working on a developer experience team, taking on full or part-time developer experience roles, or have contributed to related open source projects.
- You have experience with some or all of the following technologies: Docker containers, Kubernetes, Terraform, Jenkins, AWS (EC2, S3, ECS).
- You have experience with user research methodology.
- You have experience building and maintaining reliable, testable, performant software.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines*. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries. We always prioritize the health and safety of our employees. Currently, participation in these events and Thumbtack library use are optional. Both require employees to be fully vaccinated.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.