We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7.5 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the HR Business Partner Team
Our HR Business Partners are business leaders first, HR leaders second. We hold ourselves to a high standard of understanding the objectives, culture, and talent capabilities of our clients. We quickly identify trends and solve problems in service of achieving Thumbtack’s goals and driving high-performing individuals and teams. While we always seek out tangible facts and data, we also believe just as strongly in the intangibles – judgment, EQ, the ability to listen, having an inclusive mindset by default. We strive to be trusted partners and coaches to people at all levels of the organization.
About the Role
As a Principal HR Business Partner, you will be joining a team of respected, strategic HR partners at Thumbtack and elevating us further with your high level of domain expertise, judgment, execution, and EQ. Supporting the COO directly and partnering with other HRBPs, your work will enable the success of our operations and marketing functions. This role reports to the Sr. Director of HR Business Partners.
- Partners with business leaders. Provides HR guidance, coaches and challenges leaders to achieve results consistent with the goals and values of Thumbtack. Resolves complex ER issues and recommends and deploys strategic solutions within client groups.
- Partners with HR and related teams (e.g., Recruiting, Rewards, Legal, DEI, Analytics). Consults on the design of people philosophies, processes, and programs.
- Uses and requests data strategically to inform recommendations and develop solutions for business units.
- Deploys company-wide programs and processes by primarily assuming consultative or facilitation roles (e.g., performance calibrations, engagement discussions). Occasionally designs and implements programs or projects related to core HRBP functions.
- Maintains a deep knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance. Provides HR policy guidance and interpretation, as well as ensuring individuals, teams, and organizations are acting in line with Thumbtack's values.
- Drives diversity, equity, and inclusion within client groups by partnering with Thumbtack’s DEI team, while engaging leaders in high-impact action plans and tracking progress against our goals.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 10+ years in People related roles with 8+ years experience as an HR Business Partner directly or indirectly
- Broad knowledge of HR practices at both strategic and operational levels, including performance, risk management, coaching, engagement and retention, workforce planning, employee relations, compensation, culture and values
- Experience establishing and maintaining executive-level relationships as a trusted advisor
- Understands organizational and financial data and analysis. Uses data to identify insights that drive action
- At all levels, can speak, write, and present information clearly and concisely. At the executive level, can mediate and facilitate discussions.
- Can execute detailed, multi-quarter changes and projects at scale, within and across the organization
- Experience supporting Operations (Support, Risk), Sales and/or Marketing functions
- Experience working in both private and public companies
- Previous experience working in fast-paced, scaling organizations
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries. We always prioritize the health and safety of our employees. Currently, participation in these events and Thumbtack library use are optional. Both require employees to be fully vaccinated.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.