We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7.5 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the Product Design Team
We’re a tight-knit, collaborative, and highly iterative group. You’ll work closely with designers and product managers to launch and evolve product features. You’ll partner with User Research to gain insights from user feedback. You’ll work closely with Product Marketing to craft and deliver communications through the right channels at the best times. You’ll also sync regularly with other writers at Thumbtack to maintain a cohesive voice across all communications.
About the Role
We’re looking for a seasoned writer who has the analytical and problem-solving skills to work through complicated UI experiences on both mobile and web. As a content designer, you’ll be expected to create clear, consistent messaging while passionately advocating for the needs of the user. You’ll help drive product positioning and communication strategy alongside your design, product and marketing partners, and create delightful, intuitive product experiences that leverage your expertise in UX design and content strategy.
As a content designer at Thumbtack, you will:
- Design, write, edit, test and improve content across multiple touch points, including product flows, navigational elements, product names, emails, tutorials and notifications
- Collaborate on cross-functional teams with designers, data analysts, researchers, engineers, product managers and marketing team members
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills and the ability to influence product decisions, team direction and strategy
- Give and solicit feedback from UX design peers and contribute to the team through mentoring or onboarding
- Ensure a consistent voice and tone across Thumbtack product content, marketing channels and customer support
- Develop content frameworks and product narratives that explain your recommendations and help partners understand the practice of content designing
- Independently and proactively identify opportunities for impactful A/B copy tests and participate in user interviews
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 5+ years of professional writing experience
- 2+ years of experience in UX writing or content design
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Proven ability to collaborate successfully with design, brand, marketing, research and product partners
- Ability to articulate your rationale clearly
- Ability to work independently, juggle multiple work streams, and deliver copy on tight timelines
- Portfolio of writing samples
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.