Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Design Team
We're a tight-knit team of product designers, researchers, and product writers working closely with engineers and product managers to research, explore, and iterate on well-crafted user experiences that are innovative, engaging, and delightful. We collaborate regularly through design reviews, work sessions, and presentations to inspire and influence the direction of the product and company as a whole.
About the Role
As a Product Designer, you’ll work collaboratively and iteratively to turn complex problems into intuitive user experiences. You’ll own projects from conception to launch and measure success through data and user research. You’ll play a key role in roadmapping, feature design, and the quality of our products, and your work will impact both user and business goals.
- Design intuitive, human-centric flows and experiences on web, iOS, and Android
- Collaborate closely with fellow designers, product managers, and engineers
- Use research and qualitative data to guide design and development decisions
- Analyze the success of your solutions and iterate
- Contribute to the visual design of our patterns and design system
- Present work and use design to build alignment and influence product direction
- Contribute to high-level strategic decisions with the product and executive teams
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 2+ years of product design experience
- Portfolio with a history of impactful projects that showcase your design process
- Strong UX, interaction, and visual design skills
- Human-centric approach to designing products
- A bias for action and tenacious focus on how your work impacts users and the business
- Strong cross-functional collaboration and communication skills
- Fluency in commonly used design software and related tools (Sketch or Figma, Adobe CS, etc.)
- Experience designing for a two-sided marketplace
- Prototyping skills (using Invision, HTML, CSS, Framer, Principle, etc.)
- Conceptual understanding of popular front-end frameworks like Angular and React
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers who need to get things done with local, skilled professionals who can help. From plumbers and painters to DJs and personal trainers, Thumbtack helps millions of customers find the right professional for their project in 1,000 unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.