We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7.5 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the Role
Thumbtack’s IT team is passionate about focusing on operational excellence, whether that’s process improvements, automating the hell out of things, or helping find that next amazing app for our internal teams. We understand that if we get this right we can focus more of our attention on the things that matter to the business - namely innovation and becoming a trusted business partner. We strive to deliver the best IT service our users have experienced. Ever.
As with most startup environments, you will need to bring not only your technical skills to bear, but also your willingness to take on all challenges big and small. More importantly, you’ll need a positive outlook, good communication skills, and a craving for learning. You will be using your past experiences to help build a world-class IT department and to think outside the box in delivering new services and resources to the business. Are you ready for some fun?
You will be a customer service and support evangelist, assisting our customers via in person walk-ups, support tickets, email, and chat. You will work closely with Help Desk staff to maintain IT support documentation, handle the IT queues, and run A/V events. You love building relationships with customers, business partners and IT team members alike. You are passionate about IT end user support, have an excellent background in Mac software and hardware troubleshooting and are hungry to learn and grow in an Enterprise IT environment.
- General IT and Desktop Support
- Provide support at our IT Help Desk (on-prem and virtual) with rotating shifts to support our 24/7 operations
- Resolve incidents and problems in a timely manner or escalate on behalf of customers to senior technical staff
- Act as a point of escalation for minor technical issues
- Asset and Endpoint Management
- Perform hardware repairs, upgrades and migrations
- Support endpoint security standards (antivirus/firewall/patching/two-factor authentication)
- Participate in inventory, purchasing and asset management to support the Help Desk
- System Access and Application Support
- Handle system access and maintain user accounts, passwords, data integrity & security
- Help evaluate hardware and software solutions and participate in IT projects
- Help deploy hardware and software solutions and initiatives
- Network Support
- Diagnose and provide basic network support
- Escalate network issues on behalf of customers to senior technical staff and/or relevant groups
- A/V Support and Event Monitoring
- Diagnose and provide basic A/V support and troubleshooting
- Help lead and facilitate A/V Events
- IT Projects
- Support and drive IT projects by completing related tasks in a timely manner
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 2-4 years experience in IT Support in a professional environment
- Experience with support ticket management and tracking
- Strong customer service, problem solving and collaboration abilities
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Technical knowledge of Mac OS 10.x, iOS and Android
- Basic knowledge of Windows 7, Windows 10
- Network fundamentals and support experience (laptop connectivity, VPN, printing)
- IT-related degree or related certification/s is an advantage
- Experience in leading junior staff members
- Familiar with common access/authentication systems and tools: Okta, AD, LDAP
- Familiar with G Suite for Business (Gmail, GCal, GDocs, etc.)
- Knowledge of video conferencing solutions and support (Zoom)
- Previous experience with one or more of the following systems - Zendesk, G Suite for Business, Active Directory, Office 365, Okta, Slack, Jamf
- Basic knowledge and support of Chrome OS
- Some heavy lifting and management of IT equipment required (shifting computers in storage, deployment of equipment to desks, shipping of equipment to remote workforce)
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines*. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries. We always prioritize the health and safety of our employees. Currently, participation in these events and Thumbtack library use are optional. Both require employees to be fully vaccinated.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.