We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the Legal Team
Our legal team is responsible for managing risk across the business while bringing our product and operations to life in a way that is consistent with our mission. We partner with finance, engineering, product, marketing, operations and more to craft a marketplace that delivers business to our pros while helping millions of customers get their projects done each year. Our job is to enable our team across the company to do their best work while keeping the company's best interests at heart.
About the Role
As Associate Counsel you will both manage your own areas of legal expertise as well as support all legal team functions, with a particular emphasis on commercial contracts, intellectual property and marketplace trust and safety. This role will be charged with managing and developing best in class practices for commercial contracts. You will work closely with the procurement team and senior members of the legal team to make sure the business runs a streamlined procurement process and manages risk wisely for contracts ranging from commercial, to partnerships, to sales. You will also assist with managing the Company’s intellectual property portfolio, ranging from patent, to trademarks, to copyrights and trade secrets. Finally, you will partner with senior members of the legal team and trust and safety team to counsel the business on marketplace risks, including fraud and payments related issues.
- Conduct legal review of commercial contracts and partner with the procurement team to manage the process for reviewing commercial contracts
- Assist the legal team with regulatory and legal needs related to marketplace transactions and payments, build and manage processes for fraud detection and prevention
- May manage the company’s intellectual property portfolio
- Work with wide array of business partners ranging from finance, product, sales, marketplace trust and safety or other functional teams to understand issues, assess risk, balance needs of business and give clear, concise, move-forward legal advice
- Communicate and collaborate effectively across teams and various roles to educate colleagues about business and legal risks while enabling Thumbtack’s success
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- J.D. and more than 3 years of legal experience, preferably including experience an in-house legal department
- Experience drafting and negotiating complex contracts
- Strong problem-solving, strategic thinking, and written/verbal communication skills
- Good judgement and ability to balance risk and productivity in a business environment
- Independently motivated, while collaborative in execution
- Ability and openness to receive constructive feedback and act on same
- Exposure to intellectual property law
- Both law firm and in-house legal experience
- Generalist knowledge of corporate legal work, and payments in a marketplace environment
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries. We always prioritize the health and safety of our employees. Currently, participation in these events and Thumbtack library use are optional. Both require employees to be fully vaccinated.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.