We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the Marketplace Trust & Safety Team
The Marketplace Trust & Safety Team works on some of Thumbtack’s most interesting and challenging issues. We pride ourselves on providing a safe, high-quality experience for Thumbtack pros and their customers. Our team leverages technical, design, and operational solutions to promote trust on Thumbtack. We are developing cutting-edge strategies to mitigate risks to our users both online and in the real world. Thumbtack’s success is dependent on gaining and maintaining the trust of the customers and professionals that use the platform.
About the Role
Thumbtack is seeking candidates who will be responsible for a wide range of duties related to the investigation and elimination of payments and fraud risk. The position relies on an analytical mind, detailed investigation and excellent judgment. As a Payments Fraud Specialist on the Trust and Safety team, you will investigate reports of fraudulent activity, monitor marketplace transactions, and perform payments operations eg- submitting chargeback disputes. You will work with various stakeholders to ensure consistent processes and procedures are followed. You will manage day-to-day operational processes but also work cross-functionally to document new insights into risky behavior and advise product features / process development for payment concerns.
- Use internal and external tools to investigate flagged transactions, accounts and work tickets
- Report on broader insights on how bad actors are causing abuse to the marketplace
- Perform operational tasks related to the payments and chargeback process.
- Share process improvement ideas and product feature requests to reduce fraud on the platform
- Self prioritize activities and tasks based on importance to drive completion of department goals
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Experience using advanced Excel functions or Google Sheets
- Exceptional analytical, problem-solving, and strategic thinking skills
- Excellent decision making skills with the ability to process large amounts of data to determine the best possible solution
- Strong cross-functional teamwork and project management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and make complex investigation decisions with little to no guidance.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Previous experience in one of the following fields: fraud, risk, consulting, data analysis, or operations.
- Experience creating a complex process and teaching others how to run it.
- Project management experience.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.