We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the Engineering Team
Growth Engineering team’s charter is to enable Thumbtack’s Growth Marketing team to acquire customers and pros and ensure they are set up for success. We partner with product, design, analytics, and data engineering teams to ensure we get maximum return on the millions of dollars spent towards marketing. We believe in tackling these hard problems together as a team, with strong values around collaboration, ownership, and transparency. To read more about the hard problems Thumbtack engineering tackles on a daily basis, visit our engineering blog.
About the Role
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Growth team, you’ll focus on executing on Thumbtack’s growth strategy, working on both organic and paid growth. You’ll collaborate with other engineers, designers, product managers, analysts, data scientists and data engineers to execute on a broad range of projects. This includes defining and executing on growth infrastructure roadmap, self serve and automation tools, making 3rd party data available to data engineers, and much more.
- Become the subject matter expert in marketing and growth technology.
- Drive engineering projects to completion, with a tenacious focus on the business impact of those projects. Skilled at prioritizing tasks to deliver on goals with a sense of urgency.
- Solve tough technical problems at any level of the stack, and be persistent in getting to the solution, whether it involves back-end, or infrastructure work.
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams to plan and execute on engineering projects.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Minimum of 5+ years of industry experience in engineering
- Understanding of marketing and growth technology to enable experimentations, automation, paid and engagement marketing and SEO initiatives
- Experience evaluating, implementing and integrating 3rd party marketing tools (ex: Optimizely, Iterable, Intercom, Linear and OTT ad tools)
- Fluency in at least one major programming language and would be able to switch between multiple languages. In our stack, we mainly use Go, Scala, and PHP
- You know what it means to write high quality, maintainable, testable code, and you enjoy doing it
- You can break down complex problems rigorously and understand the tradeoffs necessary to deliver great, impactful products
- You’re curious, you’re data-driven, you love to ask questions, and you think critically about problems
- Experience or knowledge in growth and marketing
- Experience with data pipelines (Airflow, BigQuery)
- Experience leading or mentoring engineering teams
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced startup environment
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Learn about engineers on a mission
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.