Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Sales and Success Operations Team
Thumbtack’s Sales and Success Operations team is a tight-knit group charged with helping to drive revenue through the sales team and improving pro lifetime value through the success team, all at the best return on investment possible. We provide actionable insights to the sales and success teams and leadership, drive efficiencies in workflows and processes, and facilitate a smooth process for our pros to help them be successful on our platform. collaborate across a variety of teams--from operations analytics to product to engineering to support
About the Role
The Compensation Manager is responsible for leading sales and success compensation plan design aligned to company objectives. You are responsible for driving operating efficiencies around planning and compensation administration while managing the timely and accurate roll-out and monthly payout of comp plans to all plan participants. Key focuses of this role will be to develop forecasting models, set quotas, and run cost per sale analysis.
- Developing compensation plans that attract and retain great talent, drive the right behaviors, and align to the company’s strategic objectives
- Build Sales and Success payback modeling including cost per sale analysis
- End-to-end sales crediting and commissions processing to ensure accurate payments and internal compliance with key controls
- Support the financial accrual process for monthly commission estimates
- Work with key business partners to implement processes, systems and tools to improve compensation administration, communication, and analysis
- Create monthly Sales and Success forecast v actual reporting and monitoring
- Ensure compliance with Enterprise contracts, billing, and rebates
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 5+ years experience supporting sales teams in creating, designing, and operationalizing sales compensation plans
- BA/BS degree -- preferably in accounting, finance, or business-related field
- Working knowledge of sales targeting / segmentation, sales staff sizing / alignment, sales analysis, and reporting
- Proficiency using SQL to query large datasets
- Comfort with adapting and adjusting to multiple demands, shifting priorities, ambiguity, and rapid change
- Strong communicator with experience working across multiple levels of leadership
- Great attention to detail with the capability to appropriately define issues, questions, and data
- Experience creating, designing, and operationalizing Customer Success incentives plans
- Experience with Tableau
- Proficiency with Salesforce
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.