Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Pro Success Team
Our Success Team's mission is to drive revenue growth and the retention of our best and highest potential pros across our marketplace. Consisting of about 40 people, the team is part of a larger department focused on engagement marketing, community and loyalty, and digital education. It also works closely with our Sales, Product, and Analytics teams About the Role
About the Role
The Head of Success oversees all Pro Success Initiatives. Leadership responsibility includes overseeing the teams responsible for building strong, valuable relationships with Thumbtack’s best professionals to the completion and onboarding of new pro which drives product comprehension, pro retention, and generates a much higher ROI for the pro.Your job will be to identify improvement areas in our current operation, articulate a vision, develop the road-map and lead the implementation of best-in-class success practices You’ll also join and represent the Success team within a broader leadership team, aligning nurture and loyalty marketing, product marketing, community, and content and education. Ultimately, the Head of Success works with team managers to track and improve overall performance and help teams achieve their goals of activation, retention, up-sell, cross-sell, product adoption, and satisfaction.
- Lead development of success processes. Identify efficiency opportunities, develop long-term vision and road-map for the necessary infrastructure and tooling needed (including our CRM) to achieve industry leading productivity. Coordinate implementation through partnering with Engineering, Operations and Internal Tools teams
- Foster an engaged, healthy team culture, centered on client obsession, teamwork, and accountability
- With your leadership and strategic thinking, we’ll define and track performance against metrics specific to the Customer Success Team, targeted to drive account engagement, retention, expansion, and team capacity/scalability.
- Work with peers on a broader leadership team to align Success, nurture and loyalty marketing, product marketing, community, and content and education
- Become the expert on the Thumbtack product and clearly articulate why every business professional needs the product as part of their business plan Build out a world-class Customer Success Team through thoughtful onboarding and continuous cultivation of your direct reports, priming the next leaders within the organization.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 10+ years of relevant experience leading Success organizations
- Demonstrated successful leadership of a management team
- Experience with account relationships and growth management of large strategic clients and enterprises.
- Experience successfully working cross-functionally with ops, sales, marketing, and product.
- Possesses a strong management presence and leadership ability, with communication and interpersonal skills that inspire and motivate leaders and teams
- Demonstrated excellence in analytical thinking, problem-solving, communication, delegation, planning & organization, and judgment
- Able to be flexible and agile in responding to evolving business priorities and dealing with ambiguity
- Experience in tech, marketplace, and/or top tier relevant consulting firm and working directly with local businesses and service professionals
- You’re a quick study and can incorporate industry/vertical-specific jargon in your communication with customers.
- Your verbal communication is exceptional: clear, on-point, and confident.
- You believe a critical measure of your success as a manager, is your ability to retain and contribute to the professional growth of your team.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.