Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
To ensure a great user experience and long-term growth, trust and safety are the foundation of everything we do. As a part of the Marketplace Trust & Safety Team, you will have the opportunity to work on some of Thumbtack's most exciting and challenging issues. You will work as the front-line on matters integral to Thumbtack’s mission and longevity by ensuring our marketplace standards and policies are upheld. On this team, you will be part of a tight-knit group that works on ensuring that fraudulent activities on our platform are caught and prevented. And in the rare event that anything happens - you will play a critical role in making things right. By doing so, you help ensure that Thumbtack continues to be a safe space for all our pros and customers.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Works on tasks that are designed to catch spam, reduce fraud, increase adherence to the Terms of Service, and improve trust and safety on the Thumbtack platform, including but not limited to:
- Reviews pro profile and activities and takes appropriate actions to make sure we deliver quality pros to our customers
- Reviews customer profile and activities and takes appropriate actions to make sure we deliver quality leads/customers to our pros
- Makes sure users adhere to Thumbtack’s Terms of Service and takes appropriate actions against users who violate the Terms of Service
- Proactively identifies user accounts and user activities to catch and flag fraud, scam, and other Terms-of-Service (TOS) violations in the marketplace
- Investigates and researches complex fraud cases
- Identifies and raises suspicious and unusual fraud trends and activities on the platform
- Reviews the reports received from users and takes appropriate action
- Reports unusual and/or unexpected behavior of the machine models/rules
- Reinforces Thumbtack’s Terms of Service by taking proactive and reactive measures and coaching and/or providing feedback to users through different channels (chat, email, and/or phone)
- Handle incidents by working with the users directly and communicating with the users through different channels (e.g., Email and Phone)
- Handle disputes between two parties, and we should make every effort to help them work together and communicating with the users through different channels (e.g., Email and Phone)
- Provide the available resources and solutions to help users with their claims and communicating with the users through different channels (e.g., Email and Phone)
- Works with the manager to further improve our Trust & Safety policies by surfacing process and product deficiencies and providing recommendations
- Resolves issues through the proper escalation of cases
- Assists in the completion of special and ad-hoc projects
- Participates and assists in the completion of Marketplace Trust and Safety special projects
- Upholds the values of Thumbtack
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 2-3 years professional experience in the BPO, shared services, or similar industry
- Strong preference for those with the following experience working on operations or projects which involve supporting and resolving issues in online communities, eCommerce or online marketplaces, consumer app products, case management, incident handling, and/or user to user mediation
- Excellent analytical skills: use their professional judgment in interpreting findings
- Excellent aptitude for research, navigation, and investigation
- Excellent English communication (verbal, writing, and email writing) skills
- Willingness to work during the day, mid or graveyard shift, and rotating rest days
- Experience working in a Trust & Safety, Content Moderation, Fraud, and/or Risk Management role
- Experience working in different channels (email, chat, phone) or any similar industry
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning employees have the flexibility to live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. This role is closely aligned with our day-to-day Thumbtack library operations and is expected to report to the Thumbtack library in Manila on a regular cadence when it is safe to resume in-person operations.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.