Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Analytics Team
Thumbtack’s Analytics team is a tight-knit group charged with empowering Thumbtack to use data to guide decisions. We collaborate with teams across the company on a wide variety of impactful projects; everything from exploring click-level data on user experiences to evaluating the impact of a new business model on company performance. This role is about so much more than creating dashboards — it’s telling the story of our business in a way that inspires action.
About the People Team
Our People Team believes in the power of our people. We know that with the right culture, development and support, our people can achieve anything. We do this by crafting an employee experience that starts from hiring incredible people, investing in their development, and providing a holistic approach to benefits and wellbeing.
About the Role
As a People Analyst, you’ll work with the People Team to uncover insights and unlock innovation to drive the best outcomes for our employees. You’ll be expected to leverage your analytical expertise, product sense, and interpersonal skills to drive a variety of high-impact projects. You will embed directly with the People Team to get this done.
Outside supporting the People Team, you’ll contribute to our broader analytics team and company data culture by sharing your learnings, partnering with others, and building new capabilities for how we can use data to guide decisions. Team members’ personal and professional development is a priority for us. We have a solid track record of preparing team members not only for more senior responsibilities in analytics, but also for diverse roles across product, data science, and marketing.
- Design and build dashboards and analyses that power People Team decisions and operations. These reports span recruiting performance, employee engagement, and more.
- Prepare monthly and/or quarterly reporting for business leaders to help achieve hiring goals and support employees; voice recommendations based on data to influence leaders.
- Deep understanding of our recruiting and HRIS systems (e.g., Greenhouse, Workday) and how we leverage these systems for analytics.
- Stay on top of company insights, surfacing not just data but also findings and recommendations to the right individuals in the right forums.
- Present and share findings in team meetings both internal to the People Team and in partnership with leadership from engineering and other orgs.
- Contribute to our team and company data culture through peer collaboration, training, coaching, and more.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- BA/BS degree, preferably in Economics, Business, Math, Statistics, or Computer Science
- 3+ years of experience in a highly analytical role, e.g. technology, finance, or consulting
- Exemplary analytical problem solving skills, including strong business judgment and the ability to identify and synthesize insights from analysis
- Ability to work with company executives to understand the company’s recruiting needs and strategy
- Strong communicator, attentive listener, and compelling storyteller
- Proficiency in or desire to learn using SQL to analyze recruiting and HR data
- Prior work experience in Recruiting or Human Resources
- Statistics knowledge/experience
- Experience in statistical packages like R or Python
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.