Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Analytics Team
The Analytics team empowers Thumbtack to use data to guide business decisions. We collaborate with partners across the company to solve the most analytically challenging problems -- everything from how we set prices across hundreds of local services categories, to evaluating the impact of a new business model on company performance, to identifying early predictors of high-quality customers. We are a tight-knit, intellectually curious team that is committed to improving Thumbtack and improving each other.
About the Role
The Director, Product Analytics will be a cross-functional leader who will help set a 3-year supply vision for Thumbtack and execute on it in collaboration with leaders from product management, engineering, design, marketing and go-to-market. The ideal candidate is able to lead others with analytical rigor, influence senior stakeholders with data, clearly articulate and execute top priorities and last but not least, grow, motivate and maximize the impact of a team of experienced pro analysts.
The Director of Product Analytics has a well-balanced mix of responsibilities including deep analytics, team management, product strategy and product development
- Set a 3-year supply vision for Thumbtack and execute on it in collaboration with leaders from product management, engineering, design, marketing and go-to-market
- Manage, mentor and grow senior pro analysts
- Set up an analytics roadmap, identify key questions that will unblock product development and liaise with technical stakeholders on data and experimentation infrastructure
- Coordinate with analytics leaders in growth, customer, marketplace, business and operations to run a well-managed, productive and motivated Thumbtack analytics team
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 10 years of experience in analytics, data science or economics
- 4 years of people management experience especially with a focus on senior analysts/data scientists
- Experience in marketplace-type businesses where you can evaluate tradeoffs between equally important stakeholders
- Experience working in experiment-driven product development
- Strong communication skills and ability to build strong relationships cross-functionally and with senior leadership
- Bachelor’s, Master’s, Doctoral degree in one of the following areas; Statistics, Engineering, Analytics, Math, Computer Science, Operations Research
- A well-balanced combination of big-picture thinking, ability to thrive in ambiguity, exceptional problem solving skills and patience to teach others and uphold a high bar
- Experience on the supply side of 2-sided marketplaces.Understanding of economic theory especially in the area of balancing supply and demand
- Current or prior technical depth in data extraction, statistical analysis, modeling and general familiarity with data languages and statistical tools (SQL, Python, R, Stata)
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.