Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Role
As a Director your job is to lead our Sales and Success Operations teams which are responsible for all the supporting functions essential for sales and success-force productivity. Your job will be to identify improvement areas in our current operation, articulate a vision, develop the road-map and lead the implementation of best-in-class ops practices across infrastructure, capabilities, and data reporting. This includes managing the Planning process, Quota and Target setting, Market and Lead prioritization, Investment and Staffing model, Sales Process and Pay-back Optimization, Sales and Success Compensation, and building the right Ops Infrastructure, CRM and Tooling for the long-term.
You will work hand-in-hand with our Sales and Success leaders in achieving our Revenue and Productivity goals and in scaling the operation from the ~150 sales and success reps we have today to a size multiple times larger in the next few years. This role is highly cross-functional as you will partner closely with leaders across Finance, Product, Engineering, Human Resources and our Internal tools teams in defining and executing on our overall Go-to-Market strategy.
- Lead and mentor a high-performing team of Sales and Success Ops Analysts and Project Managers
- Lead and coordinate sales planning, forecasting, investment, staffing and budgeting processes and represent our Sales and Success team with our Finance team.
- Build and manage all Sales and Success reports. Proactively monitor to maintain high levels of quality, accuracy, and process consistency in these efforts.
- Lead development of Sales and Success processes. Identify efficiency opportunities, develop long-term vision and road-map for the necessary infrastructure and tooling needed (including our CRM) to achieve industry leading productivity. Coordinate implementation through partnering with Engineering and Internal Tools teams
- Representing our Sales and Success teams with key leaders across Product, Marketing and Engineering teams in company planning and execution of the overall growth and Go-to-Market strategy
- Build and Administer an equitable quota, incentive and compensation system across all Sales and Success teams. Working closely with Accounting, Finance, and Human Resources, to define policies, audit compliance, and when required to arbitrate or clarify the application
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Highly motivated, high impact, self-starter with a minimum 8+ years of relevant professional experience with increasing levels of responsibility
- Experience and proven track record scaling and leading inbound and outbound Sales and/or Success Operations at a fast-growing company
- Superior operational modeling, forecasting, reporting and analysis skills with strong attention to detail
- Deep experience in leading large scale infrastructure projects through implementation and management of Salesforce and other Sales and Success tools
- Ability to establish credibility and communicate effectively with cross-functional partners and executives
- Highest ethical standards, excellent judgment, and personal/professional integrity; discretion in handling confidential information
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Experience in a two-sided marketplace
- Experience working with a technology or software company
- Direct experience with large-scale Sales and Success teams targeting local SMB businesses
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.