Have you ever tried to hire an electrician or plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Technology Team
Our technology team is responsible for building and driving innovation in our product, developing and maintaining internal tools for our team, and securing our product and business from threats. Thumbtack is a technology company with software engineering and cutting edge technology at its core. The technology team partners with product, marketing, operations, finance, legal and more to craft a marketplace that delivers business to our pros while helping millions of customers get their projects done each year. Our job is to be the core powerhouse of the company to drive innovation, achieve our ambitious 3-year product vision and hit our company goals in the years to come.
About the Role
The Chief Technology Officer is the chief architect of technological innovation at Thumbtack. The role manages a team of hundreds of engineers and others and works daily with our senior leaders to align the team against company goals. The role thoughtfully balances infrastrastructure investments with business needs and sees around corners of gaps we need filled today to enable success in 2-3 years. The role interfaces with all key roles across the business from the executive level to independent contributors and across all departments. In addition to driving execution on the technology team the role is responsible for preparing the company for its next stage of growth and transition. The role reports to our CEO.
Remote until at least July 2021
- Develop and communicate vision for technology team that connects business and technical needs
- Regularly and clearly communicate inspiring vision for future of department to team, company, execs/Board.
- Strong immersion in and sense of business needs. Effectively translates business needs to functional plan for technology teams. Understand deeply where the business is heading and drives a plan for shaping our technology teams against it.
- Balance infrastructure investments with business needs. Know when to advocate for infra investments and when to advocate for pushing forward on business needs.
- Work regularly and effectively with cross-functional leaders to ensure all departments are working in lockstep to achieve company goals. Able to successfully navigate across all our departments and drive alignment.
- Drive stability, integrity, throughput of the company plan alongside other C-level execs.
- Build Eng team so it is in a position to drive Product innovation.
- Hire, organize, manage execution of technology team to achieve business and product goals
- Continually identify functional gaps and implement plan to fill.
- Department “Recruiter in Chief”: identify and hire key leaders; set hiring targets to shape rest of organization (function + level) to achieve business and product goals.
- Scale team 2-3-4x over the next few years; build systems, processes, leadership team that allows the technology team to navigate growth while maintaining strong culture.
- Manage team execution at scale with ambitious but achievable goal-setting, inspiring sense of urgency, expecting high standards, leveraging direct reports and team managers. Great nose for talent and team / individual performance.
- Build agility into the organization to go after opportunities / shift priorities as needed.
- Create a roadmap for tackling technical challenges and structure team against that roadmap.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Has managed a team of 100s of engineers.
- Has been at a growth stage private tech company.
- Has technical expertise to command respect of the team.
- Experience working in a marketplace company
- Product leadership experience
- Public company experience
- Experience managing a remote / distributed team
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Engineers on a mission
- Follow us on LinkedIn
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.