Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling, and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Engineering Team
At Thumbtack, engineers at every level build products and systems that directly impact our customers and professionals. Our challenges span a wide variety of areas, ranging from building search and booking experiences, to optimizing pricing systems, to building tools to help professionals grow their businesses. We believe in tackling these hard problems together as a team, with strong values around collaboration, ownership and transparency. To read more about the hard problems that our team is taking on, visit our engineering blog.
About the Role
Thumbtack is looking for an experienced Senior Security Software Engineer for our engineering organization. As our first Software Engineer focused on security, you will lead the charge to improve the security of our application and infrastructure. You will work with other engineering teams to build solutions to protect our customers and professionals on our Thumbtack platform. You will be a consultant working with other engineers and cross functional partners to build more robust and secure software.
Remote in Toronto Area until at least July 2021
- Design, implement, and maintain security-oriented software that makes it easier for non-security engineers to build secure products.
- Facilitate the delivery and success of secure mobile and web applications
- Collaborate with many teams and functions across Thumbtack to make technical, design, strategy and product decisions relating to security.
- Act as an internal security subject matter expert, advocating for better security practices throughout the company.
- Grow your career in an engaged and innovative engineering community that ships transformative products and services.
- Help evaluate adoption of open source software and 3rd party integration from a security standpoint.
- Engage and help with security assessment and compliance evaluation.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or equivalent technical experience
- 5+ years experience leading complex, technical, cross-functional projects (Data Platform or Infrastructure a plus)
- Experience and understanding of application and infrastructure security
- Experience in security hardening in a public cloud environment (AWS, GCP)
- Experience and proven ability in delivering secure product and services in a cloud environment
- Outstanding communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills
- Ability to think strategically at the program level, dive-in and be hands on in day-to-day action
- Experience in design and authoring security tools and libraries
- Experience with Pentest
- Experience with PCI security standards
- Security trainings and certifications
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity, equity and inclusion.