Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Thumbtack Philippines provides customer support, marketplace trust and safety operations, product support, and various knowledge and shared services support for our internal teams globally. If joining one of Silicon Valley’s top tech startup companies and being part of a world-class team in Manila sounds like a good career move for you, then come check out this job role we’re hiring for.
About the Trust and Safety Proactive Team
The Trust and Safety Proactive team leverages technical, design, and operational solutions to promote trust on the Thumbtack platform. We are developing cutting-edge strategies to mitigate risks to our users both online and in the real world. Thumbtack’s success is dependent on gaining and maintaining the trust of the customers and pros that use the platform.
About the Role
As a Risk Analyst, you will proactively identify and analyze threat, bad actor, and fraud trends on Thumbtack, and provide risk mitigation recommendations to the broader Trust and Safety Team. You will also create and automate the processes that protect our marketplace and you’ll contribute to our greater team data culture by sharing your learnings, partnering with others, and building new capabilities to empower data-driven decisions. You will be obsessed with trying to prevent negative experiences before they happen, and when they do happen, learn from them to improve in the future. This will require creativity, collaboration, and a lot of drive. You’ll be expected to quickly build technical and content expertise about our platform, as well as the touch-points through which the operations teams interact with our pros and customers.
- Perform data analysis to derive insights from our platform.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Customer Service, Engineering, Operations, and Product teams to increase automation, update policies, fix product loopholes and provide a better online experience for our users.
- Enhance our operational workflows via process improvements and identify automation opportunities.
- Effectively work with a team of peers focused on mutual support to complete projects.
- Quickly and appropriately respond to escalated situations to mitigate any negative impact to Thumbtack users.
- Prioritize activities and tasks based on importance to drive completion of department goals.
- Contribute to our team and company culture through peer collaboration, training and personal development.
- Experience understanding basic SQL or other query languages
- Experience with Excel and/or Google Sheets knowledge
- Exceptional analytical, problem-solving, and strategic thinking skills
- Project Management Experience
- Excellent decision-making skills with the ability to process large amounts of data to determine the best possible solution
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a self-directed manner and report back
- The ability to break down a concept to its core and think critically about solutions
- Experience writing basic SQL or other query languages
- Previous Trust and Safety or Fraud Prevention Experience
- Strong operational experience. Able to create a complex process and teach others how to run it.
- Good presentation design and delivery skills
- Salesforce Experience
- Tableau/Data Visualization experience
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.