We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7.5 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the Design Team
We’re a tight-knit and highly-collaborative team of product designers, researchers, product writers, and design ops working closely with engineers and product managers to research, explore, and iterate on user experiences that are engaging and useful. We collaborate regularly through design reviews, work sessions, and presentations to inspire and influence the direction of the product and company as a whole.
About the Role
Our design team is most effective when designers have excellent managers coaching and developing them, giving thoughtful design feedback, and clearing obstacles. Our Product Design Managers also play a critical role in collaborating with cross-functional partners to set the vision and define the product strategy.
- Mentor and manage a team of product designers – including defining clear goals, prioritizing work, and building a culture that fosters trust and respect.
- Guide ongoing design work and uphold a high quality bar for the user experience.
- Facilitate collaboration between product design and various other functions, such as user research, brand marketing, engineering, product management, and analytics.
- Collaborate with other cross-functional leaders to define the vision, strategy, and goals for your product area.
- Create alignment by communicating plans and strategies with cross-functional product teams, senior leadership, and the design team.
- Recruit, interview, and hire great product designers.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 4+ years of experience working as part of a design team; 1+ years of experience managing product designers
- User-centric approach to designing products
- Emotional intelligence—the ability to understand what each individual on your team needs to thrive and feel fulfilled
- A portfolio of product design projects that showcases your design process, final designs, and impact
- A demonstrated ability to lead a project end-to-end and with a cross-functional team
- Strong communication and presentation skills (both written and oral)
- A history of proactively driving processes and solutions to ambiguous problems. Comfortable rolling up sleeves and working without formal requirement documents or top-down direction.
- Experience designing or managing in a two-sided marketplace
- Experience managing Senior Designers
- Experience designing or managing within a consumer-facing product space\
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.