Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Team
Our team is developing stories about Thumbtack and sharing them with the world. We collaborate closely with our colleagues from engineering and product to brand and people while leveraging support from external agencies.
About the Role
Thumbtack is seeking a Senior PR Manager to help lead its Communications Team. Reporting to the Senior Director of Communications, the Senior PR Manager will establish Thumbtack as the only app homeowners need. The Senior PR Manager is a central partner to the Thumbtack executive team, marketing team, people team and product team. You’ll lead product, small business and consumer-focused PR while helping to create and drive communication strategies that build our brand. In this role, you will partner with colleagues cross-functionally and consultants externally to release news, launch campaigns, publish business and economic data, and share stories from the homeowners and local professionals who we serve.
Remote until at least July 2021
- Public relations: Partner with internal stakeholders and external agencies to build our announcement pipeline, tell stories of local homeowners and professionals, and lead data-driven storytelling such as the annual Small Business Friendliness Survey.
- Thought leadership: Partner with 2-3 Thumbtack spokespeople to craft and manage thought leadership platforms including blog posts, industry speaking, and media outreach programs.
- Employer Brand: Partner with the people team, social media team, and key leaders across departments to scale content development and raise awareness within the tech industry for Thumbtack as a great place to work.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but are still interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 8+ years working in public relations, communications, or a related field.
- Demonstrated success leading media programs, placing coverage, publishing content — and measuring results
- Comfort working directly with company spokespeople and senior leaders
- Proven ability to define objectives, strategies and tasks without waiting for top-down direction.
- Adept in working cross-functionally to incorporate and act on feedback from stakeholders and senior leaders
- Strong written and verbal communication skills: this role will require creating messaging, talking points, and blog posts as well as coaching spokespeople
- Experience working in a startup or high-growth tech company
- Experience managing PR agencies and/or contractors
- Interest in helping to create original content, including blog posts, Q&As, and scripts for speaking engagements
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.