Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About Research & Design At Thumbtack
We’re a tight-knit and highly-collaborative team of designers, researchers, content strategists, and analysts working closely with engineers and product managers to discover, validate, and iterate on well-crafted user experiences that are innovative, engaging, and delightful. We collaborate regularly through design critiques, work sessions, and presentations to inspire and inform the direction of the product and company as a whole.
You are passionate about developing empathy with our users, especially the small business owners/professionals (Pros), and delivering insights that help us create experiences that fulfill their needs. You have several years of effective cross-functional collaboration experience and you strive to create product experiences that users share and evangelize. You’re a great communicator and story-teller, and can help product teams better understand and advocate for their users. Your focus is on market research methodologies, but you have working knowledge of quantitative methodologies as well.
Customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About The Role
Market Researchers at Thumbtack will work across product teams and serve as advocates for the needs of customers and Pros alike. You will be responsible for scoping and executing research projects (often with overlapping timelines) and providing insights that will drive key product decisions. The ideal candidate will be a social scientist with expertise in experimental and survey methodology, behavioral data analysis, and statistics.
Remote until at least July 2021
- Focus on developing marketing and communications strategy based on customer and pro insights
- Collaborate closely with multiple teams within the organization to identify and prioritize research topics in a fast-paced environment.
- Design and execute studies that seek to understand user motivations, attitudes, and behaviors
- Analyze data and synthesize results to generate insights and provide clear and concise recommendations that shape how product teams think about short to long-term strategy
- Visualize data to communicate performance and impact of marketing programs and activities
- Share research findings with smaller functional teams and the company at-large by creating and distributing compelling, impactful reports and presentations.
- Work collaboratively within the research, data analytics, product management, marketing, design, and content writing team to assess larger user trends and determine strategies for further investigation and/or synthesis.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 3-7+ years in brand and advertising research in fast-paced, consumer-facing product organizations
- Experience working with UX teams, marketing teams and directing agencies/vendors to deliver results on positioning, message development and optimization, value proposition development and communication
- Expertise working with large-scale data in multi-method studies, conducting focus groups, survey design and analysis, competitive analysis, weighting, segmentations, and response effects
- Degree, preferably MA/MS/PhD in human behavior-related field such as Market Research, Business, Human-Computer Interaction, Economics, Political Science, related fields, or equivalent practical experience
- Proficient in coding, writing queries in R, SQL, SPSS or Python
- Experience collecting and analyzing user behavior through unmoderated experiments (A/B testing), in-person studies, and remote studies
- Experience using a variety of research tools (such as Qualtrics, SurveyMonkey, R, SPSS, Ethnio, Mode Analytics, Tableau) and familiarity with recruiting and analytics suites
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.