Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Accounting Team
The Accounting Team is involved in all aspects of the business ensuring we properly capture, account for, and record all the activities that occur as they occur. We keep the books and records for the Company, help to ensure Thumbtack has appropriate policies and procedures in place, and provide the business with the information in order to make critical decisions in the support of Thumbtack’s success.
About the Role
As the Manager of Internal Controls, you’ll have the exciting opportunity to come into a newly formed team and work closely with all members of the Global Thumbtack Accounting team to implement policies and procedures and controls to support the Companies maturity efforts. This will include and end to end controls assessment, building out an internal controls function within the organization, and everything that comes with that. The opportunities are endless and this role will be the person to help build out the control function. This individual will alter how our accounting team operates day to day.
You’ll get to grow with a team and have team support while getting to make a huge impact on implementing new systems and processes and putting in place controls to aid the Company in maturing.
Remote in San Francisco Bay Area until at least July 2021
- Implement and drive compliance with global Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) programs including risk identification, 302 Certification process, control gaps, risk control matrix, proposals around remediation, cross team collaboration on such efforts.
- Implementation of an internal controls test plan including coordination of internal resources, testing, ensuring test results are properly documented and issues are appropriately raised & resolved.
- Establish good relationships and become a trusted resource for business partners to drive maintenance of control and process documentation (policies, procedures, narratives, control matrices, etc.)
- Document and report the results of internal control testing including remedial actions to senior management, communicating control gaps and deficiencies to process owners and other business leaders.
- Continuously work towards global process improvement to become and maintain SOX compliance requirements and stay on top of new developments and trends related to SOX legislation, COSO framework and PCAOB standards.
- Work closely with IT Management to evaluate and ensure compliance of key financial systems and lead change management practices.
- Collaborate with the internal and external partners to execute audits and drive resolution on issues, as well as work cross-functionally within the organization to support various stakeholders on internal control related matters, including but not limited to other Controllership functions, Financial Planning and Analysis, IT, HR, and many others
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 6+ years relevant SOX 404 compliance, internal controls, internal auditing, accounting, and testing experience with a mid-size to large organization, preferably in a multinational environment and technology sector.
- Professional certifications such as CPA/Chartered Accountant/ CIA/CISA.
- Progressive experience and understanding of SOX requirements, including experience in defining and designing controls is required.
- Must be a "self-starter" with a can-do demeanor and a serious desire to have a positive impact on Thumbtack.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills including the ability to collaborate cross functionally
- Design and execute operational audit programs including understanding business processes and underlying systems, conducting interviews and process walkthroughs, and performing audit procedures to assess the operational efficiency and effectiveness of the key business processes.
- Support quarterly/yearly audits including control related matters and discussions and directly interact and manage relationships with external auditors and ad-hoc projects.
- Strong attention to detail, organized and thorough with desire for continuous improvement.
- Experience with NetSuite and implementing a SOX tool or program is a plus
- Experience in performing operational internal audits is preferred but not required.
- Public accounting or internal auditing experience with Big 4 firms is preferred.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA