Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Growth Team
The Growth team is responsible for bringing users, customers and pros, to Thumbtack. Our users find Thumbtack through a variety of channels including inbound and outbound sales, organic results in search engines (SEO), search ads (SEM), social ads (e.g. Facebook), offline marketing (e.g. TV, Radio), brand marketing as well as come directly to our homepage or native apps. Our growth team owns all these front door experiences, growing user acquisition and activation through these channels.
About the Role
Growth is the engine of any marketplace. In this role you will be leading the engineering team directly responsible for it. The team is highly interdisciplinary, encompassing engineers with a variety of skill sets including frontend engineering, native mobile, backend engineering and machine learning/optimization. In this role, you’ll not only partner with product, design and marketing leads to develop and execute on a growth strategy for Thumbtack, but also help build critical infrastructure and systems that power that growth and enable the team to move fast.
- Build and grow an amazing engineering organization with a strong culture of balancing excellence with moving fast.
- Hire and support senior technical leaders and managers within the team to scale the organization in the coming months to achieve aggressive growth goals across existing and emerging channels.
- Work with engineering leads within the team as well as cross functional leads (including product, marketing, analytics and design) to craft a compelling vision and long term strategy for growth.
- Set the team up for excellence in execution and anticipate and plan ahead for infrastructure the team needs to build for long term success. This infrastructure could be backend systems, machine learning models, frontend infrastructure for fantastic pagespeed, or experimental infrastructure to enable rapid testing and prototyping of onboarding flows within our native apps.
- Work closely with other engineering leaders to evolve and continually improve Thumbtack’s engineering culture in a high paced growth environment.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Experience in a senior engineering management role.
- 8-10+ years experience building software at scale.
- Good knowledge of growth strategies and experience building and scaling growth teams.
- Strong leadership, communication, and organizational skills.
- Passion for leading teams, setting vision, developing leaders and building highly functioning organizations.
- Collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams to achieve results.
- Stay up to date with innovation, able to guide technology evolution and not afraid to write code.
- Experience at a growth-stage consumer tech company.
- Experience with a marketplace business.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Engineers on a mission
- Follow us on LinkedIn
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.